Sick Betta Fish! Help!

Dudaantonov1999

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 10g
How long has the tank been running? 1 month
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 72 F° (cold days) 78 F° (normally). It's cold
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 male betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Around 3 times a week or more
How much of the water do you change? 20%-30%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No. I'm in a fish in cycle, sadly.
What do you use to test the water? Liquid test (Labcon)
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: don't know ( I'm from brazil. Didn't found any nitrate test to sell in pet stores. They said that wasn't being delivered)
pH: 6.8-7
I just did a 20%-30% wc. The results are from before the wc.

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? 3 pellets morning; 3 pellets night
What brand of food do you feed your fish? BettaMin morning; Sera night
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 month
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Yesterday-Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Low active, maybe some dust in body, not flaring....
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

So I'm in a fish in cycle. I belived the pet store guy that my tank would be cycled in one week with stability, it wasn't. It's been one month now, I believe cycle is almost there for the parameters results. I did a lot of water changes this month, since when I started to see ammonia and nitrites, like every other day. My ammonia was never higher than 0.25 ppm, but my nitrites did spike somewhere between 0.5-1.0 ppm for around 4 days. I did prime to neutralize it too. I Know now fish in cycle is not good at all, but when I saw things wasn't working as fine as would want, my fish was already in the tank so.... I'm really trying my best. Now my fish is probally sick and don't really know how to help him.

He is usually very active, swimming the whole aquarium. Yesterday he was basically just in the surface the whole day changing spot sometimes, but he ate as usual. This morning he was showing the same behaviour, he ate less and I noticed he struggled a little to eat. Through the day he was a little more active, but still spending long periods on the surface. I started investigating and noticed what could be some dust(?) in his body, most in the fins. He usually flares at anything in the tank, he didn't flare even once today. He may be a little bloated too, but this could be just me seeing things. I don't know if it's relevant, but thursday I put new plants on tank.
What could it be? How can I help him? Should I wait one more day to see how its going to progress. I tought it could be velvet, but don't really know.
How I said I just did a wc now. In the "face" image I believe the supposed dust can be seen in the fins.
Sorry for any mistakes writting.

Attachments

AcornTheBetta

Dudaantonov1999 said:
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 10g
How long has the tank been running? 1 month
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 72 F° (cold days) 78 F° (normally). It's cold
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 male betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Around 3 times a week or more
How much of the water do you change? 20%-30%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No. I'm in a fish in cycle, sadly.
What do you use to test the water? Liquid test (Labcon)
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: don't know ( I'm from brazil. Didn't found any nitrate test to sell in pet stores. They said that wasn't being delivered)
pH: 6.8-7
I just did a 20%-30% wc. The results are from before the wc.

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? 3 pellets morning; 3 pellets night
What brand of food do you feed your fish? BettaMin morning; Sera night
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 month
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Yesterday-Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Low active, maybe some dust in body, not flaring....
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

So I'm in a fish in cycle. I belived the pet store guy that my tank would be cycled in one week with stability, it wasn't. It's been one month now, I believe cycle is almost there for the parameters results. I did a lot of water changes this month, since when I started to see ammonia and nitrites, like every other day. My ammonia was never higher than 0.25 ppm, but my nitrites did spike somewhere between 0.5-1.0 ppm for around 4 days. I did prime to neutralize it too. I Know now fish in cycle is not good at all, but when I saw things wasn't working as fine as would want, my fish was already in the tank so.... I'm really trying my best. Now my fish is probally sick and don't really know how to help him.

He is usually very active, swimming the whole aquarium. Yesterday he was basically just in the surface the whole day changing spot sometimes, but he ate as usual. This morning he was showing the same behaviour, he ate less and I noticed he struggled a little to eat. Through the day he was a little more active, but still spending long periods on the surface. I started investigating and noticed what could be some dust(?) in his body, most in the fins. He usually flares at anything in the tank, he didn't flare even once today. He may be a little bloated too, but this could be just me seeing things. I don't know if it's relevant, but thursday I put new plants on tank.
What could it be? How can I help him? Should I wait one more day to see how its going to progress. I tought it could be velvet, but don't really know.
How I said I just did a wc now. In the "face" image I believe the supposed dust can be seen in the fins.
Sorry for any mistakes writting.
Let me just say that your writing is fine. I think you should start doing 50% water changes everyday. Poor water quality (Ammonia and Nitrite are both toxic to fish in any amount) is probably the cause of these illnesses. What color is the dust? Try to keep the temperature stable at 78 - 80 F. I think you should change your feeding schedule to once a day every other day to minimize the ammonia going into the tank. When your fish makes his recovery, feeding 6 pellets once per day at night would be ideal along with ~20% water changes once a week. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions or if I missed one of your questions.

Dudaantonov1999

AcornTheBetta said:
Let me just say that your writing is fine. I think you should start doing 50% water changes everyday. Poor water quality (Ammonia and Nitrite are both toxic to fish in any amount) is probably the cause of these illnesses. What color is the dust? Try to keep the temperature stable at 78 - 80 F. I think you should change your feeding schedule to once a day every other day to minimize the ammonia going into the tank. When your fish makes his recovery, feeding 6 pellets once per day at night would be ideal along with ~20% water changes once a week. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions or if I missed one of your questions.
Thanks for your answer! The dust is very yellow. It was way more visible this morning. Almost sure it’s velvet

AcornTheBetta

Dudaantonov1999 said:
Thanks for your answer! The dust is very yellow. It was way more visible this morning. Almost sure it’s velvet
Sounds like velvet to me. Hope he gets better!

Rose of Sharon

Beautiful boy!!!!

My first betta got velvet because of the stress of being cold. I didn't know any better at the time!

I just finished treating a fish for velvet. I bumped the temp up to 82 to 84 degrees, added 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon, and covered the tank to keep her in darkness to deprive the parasites of light to keep them from multiplying. I also added Copper Safe to the tank. It takes a while to get rid of it.

When doing water changes, you will have to be mindful of the salt amounts, and the copper amounts (if you can get this type of med in Brazil). You only want to add what you take out. The bad thing about copper meds is that the copper leaches into everything, including the silicon that holds the tank together.

If you have something that can act as a hospital tank, that would be better than keeping the fish in his tank. You will need a heater in the hospital tank to keep it warm.

Velvet is extremely contagious. You may have to clean it well and start over. I don't know if I would trust putting a fish in the tank without cleaning it. Or I guess you could let it cycle for another month or so without putting a fish in? (long enough for the parasites to die out)...I think I would research this first, though.

I do hope that you can save him!

Top Bottom