Sick Betta Female! Maybe Dropsy? Bloat And Raised Scales!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Terrormissu, Dec 6, 2018.

1. TerrormissuNew MemberMember

upload_2018-12-6_21-43-6.jpeg
    Tank

• What is the water volume of the tank? 20gallon
    • Does it have a filter? Yes, a sponge filter
    • Does it have a heater? Yes, set at 80F
    • What is the water temperature? 80F
    • What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 6 betta females, one pleco (4inch variety) and some snails that came on plants >.>

Maintenance
    • How often do you change the water? Every 1.5 week’s, more often depending on if they made a mess or more water than usual condensates
    • How much of the water do you change? 20%
    • What do you use to treat your water? Prime
    • Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I vaccume the substrate every 2nd or 3rd time since the tank is planted

Parameters
    • Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
    • What do you use to test the water? One of the water parameter kits with the test tubes
    • What are your parameters? We need the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
    Ammonia:0
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:0
    pH:7.2

Feeding
    • How often do you feed your fish?twice a day
    • How much do you feed your fish?I used to over feed I think, I now feed them peas in the morning (cause they’re all fat!) and a sprinkle of flakes (sometimes frozen bloodworms) but not more than they can eat in 2 min
    • What brand of food do you feed your fish? Betamin
    • Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? The flakes have freeze dried bloodworms in it, on occasion I feed frozen bloodworms

Illness & Symptoms:
    • How long have you had this fish? Had her for about 6 month
    • How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Two weeks ago
    • In a few words, (more room for details below) what are the symptoms? She has bloating on one side, in only a small spot. The scales are raised a bit there too. She doesn’t eat peas (or flakes when offered) and her poop looks like she is constipated, it’s very squished looking
    • Have you started any treatment for the illness? I’ve been feeding her mostly peas, and Epsom salt water baths
    • Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
    • How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? She won’t eat, that’s about it!
    We had a fish with dropsy earlier, cause by overfeeding id assumed. She passed but was quarantined as soon as we noticed. Since then we have started feeding peas and changed to flakes so we don’t need to presoak the pellets. She’s in a breeder box now so we can control her eating, it’s about 1gallon and the water is changed once or twice a day!

Attached Files:

2. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

You caught dropsy very early so it mean you have the highest chance to treat it. Loss of appetite is a symptom of dropsy. Most cases of dropsy is bacterial so start treating with Kanaplex in a hospital tank and do epsom salt baths if her scales get too raised. Pretty sure your tank isn't cycled because you have no nitrates.

3. OP
    OP
    T

TerrormissuNew MemberMember

Not gonna lie I was being a dingus these and just put zero I’ll check it tomorrow! It’s been running for a few months so it should be cycled! Do you think it’s dropsy? She has been like this for a while now, with not much change

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice