Sick Betta, Dropsy? Help

1. Beauseph613 Initiate Member

So on Monday when I got home from work I went to my betta's tank to feed him but he was not there to greet me as usual. After searching the heavily planted tank, I found him very lethargic on the substrate hiding in the wisteria. He came to the surface and I noticed that his right eye was swollen and cloudy. He was also refusing to eat. I tested my parameters and everything checked out there. I performed a massive water change to be safe and rushed to my lps and bought kanaplex. When I got home I noticed that his head was starting to pinecone and he was still refusing to eat. I am unsure if he has dropsy since his belly is not swollen, only his head (mostly the right side where his eye bulges). So I started the kanaplex that night. He became more energetic on tuesday and is eating but his eye and head are still swollen. I decided to start treating with epsom salt baths tonight. While he was in the bath I noticed tiny white specs on his body that I did not see on him in his tank. I am afraid that this might be ich aswell. I am fairly new to the hobby and have never experienced any diseases or illnesses before, so I am unsure if this is popeye, dropsy, etc and if I am doing the right treatment. The tank is 6.2 gal and 76 degrees. I do weekly 33% water changes and feed once daily with Sunday being a fast day.
  2. Beauseph613 Initiate Member

Here are some pics. Oh and I have had the betta for about a year.

Attached Files:

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Unilateral popeye is indicative of an injury. It doesn't look like he has dropsy to me. It sounds like you're doing everything right - I hope he improves!
  4. Beauseph613 Initiate Member

This is great to hear! Thanks!

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Hopefully it's not something like a tumor :(
  6. Beauseph613 Initiate Member

I hope not. He seems to have responded well to the epsom salt bath. He is out and about all over the tank instead of hiding at the bottom in the plants.
  7. InsanityShard Member Member

Doesn't seem like a tumor to me, more like his eye got injured somehow and got infected... Keep at it! You're doing well.