Sick betta - bacterial? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by escapay, Jan 7, 2013.

1. escapay

escapayWell Known MemberMember

Not quite sure what is up with my female betta. I noticed a pin-head size white area on her forehead on Thursday, so instead of asking here what to do... I first tested the water. Since I had 1ppm of ammonia (I'm pretty sure this came from overfeeding the day before), I added Prime and on Friday I did the water change (plus more prime). Retested aquarium on Saturday, it came back 0ppm. Mini-cycle! :;nin2

Video to try and show what my betta's head looks like. The area has expanded from the pin-head white spot to more of a white line or something close. Check the video for a better image...
    [video=youtube_share;q4Jb_EZn5sg]http://youtu.be/q4Jb_EZn5sg[/video]

Next part is - what should I do to have my female betta heal faster or to prevent the area from becoming infected?

Other notes...
    this is my 10 gallon with live plants. She is with 6 Kuhli Loaches and one of the babies died Dec. 24th, 10 days before discovering mystery stuff on my betta. Other fish seem fine. Also, this is not the Kuhlis permanent home... but other fish were in quarantine and they remained in this tank. Now must figure out whether they are safe to move or wait until I figure out what is up with the female betta.

I tested the water with API Master Kit. I am pretty set on my every 8 days a water change schedule.

2. AquariaUK

AquariaUKValued MemberMember

I've been reading up on this and it could be a parasite or columnaris (mouth rot) but it could also be a tumour. It might be something to do with the 1ppm (!) of ammonia or he might have just rubbed his reflection in the glass which happens surprisingly often. Keep an eye on it.

3. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

It looks like she has mouth rot.

4. OP
    OP
    escapay

Her mouth area has looked that way since last June when I first bought her. It has never changed at all. She has been with other fish and only issue I've had is with parasites on other fish.

Today the area appears more raised above her head. I circled the area that is what I'm questioning.
    betta_sick_still 003 - Copy.JPG

5. OP
    OP
    escapay

I started treatment of Marcyn Two last night. This morning she had clamped fins, lethargic, and still had the missing scales on her forehead. I added an airstone and she slightly perked up for the amount of time I was watching her. I offered and she accepted, though much much slower than normal, 2 pellets of NLS Betta.

About 24 hours after the first dose of Marcyn Two, she is dead. :'( She was too young to die. Appearance upon death also shows a bloated stomach and the lower gill portion (?) was extended a little.

If this was columnaris, what should I be doing about the fish that have been housed with her? Especially the ones that were with her when she developed the visible issue? I have 6 Kuhli Loaches that I'm afraid to move - I do not want to contaminate anyone else...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice