Question Sick Betta, anything else I can do?

SammiiMaac

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My male betta lives in a 10 gallon tank alone. Water tested within acceptable levels for everything (use the apI master test kit).
He’s presenting symptoms of swim bladder. His tail end is down when he’s swimming (so his body is not horizontal) and he spends most of his time yesterday and today lying at the bottom of the tank.
I’ve moved him to a 2 gallon hospital tank, with 1 gallon water from his tank, 1 gallon new treated water.
Added 1/2 tsp dissolved API aquarium salt.
I tried to feed him some skinned thawed-from-frozen peas but he’s not having any of it. I usually feed him blood worms or flake food from tweezers and usually as soon as he sees the tweezers he swims up to the tank and eats straight from them, always has. No go this time.

Is there anything else I can do? Has anyone successfully nursed a betta back to health?

OP
S

SammiiMaac

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FinalFins said:
Start a daily water change schedule and try to get him to eat frozen brine shrimp or frozen daphnia. Should clear out anything if its causing the problem.
Now that he’s in the 2 gallon, I was planning on doing a 1/2 gallon water change daily. I have frozen brine shrimp I tried to give him yesterday but he’s hiding in grass at the moment. I’ll have to try again in the morning.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SammiiMaac said:
H

He looks totally normal other than the funky swim. No bloating or raised scales, no discoloration. The photos are bubbly, sorry.
Not blurry at all!

OP
S

SammiiMaac

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FinalFins said:
He looks a bit underfed, not to be rude but how much do you feed?

And numbers for ammoni, nitrite and nitrate?
He eats a diet of dried bloodworms, frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp/mysis shrimp - I feed them to him 1 by 1 basically until he’s fed up with me. Once or twice a day depending on whether or not he wants them.

I don’t have the numbers - I tested everything quickly and they were normal, I’ve done a 50% water change on that tank now.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Ok, good to know. I would continue 50% daily WC until get gets a bit more comfortable. Try feeding him everyday, and if he doesn't eat clean up whatever he leaves behind. Bettas resting like that isn't normal.

OP
S

SammiiMaac

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FinalFins said:
Ok, good to know. I would continue 50% daily WC until get gets a bit more comfortable. Try feeding him everyday, and if he doesn't eat clean up whatever he leaves behind. Bettas resting like that isn't normal.
So, he clearly has an appetite today. He is grabbing the mysis shrimp from the tweezers without any hesitation and is trying to eat them, but then he like... “burps” them back up (that’s the only way I know how to describe it). I’m not sure what is happening?

New Threads