Sick Balloon Molly? Help

1. PatientStars

PatientStars Valued Member Member

Hi all, I have been noticing my balloon molly flashing, keeping her top fin clamped down, occasionally gasping, and almost wobbling in place rather than smoothly swimming.

However, she has been eating perfectly well, comes to the front of the tank when I see her, and has no visible signs of illness or injury that I can see.

She has been getting chased a lot by my female dalmatian molly, as well as some of my male guppies. Could the stress of being picked on be cause of her behavior?

Parameters: 0/0/10
    Temp: 78

2. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Guppys and mollies can cross breed so if you have more males then females she is probably being stressed with all the constant mating. Also balloon fish generally are not as healthy as the more normal varieties.

Whats her poo and her gills look like.

3. OP
    OP
    PatientStars

Her gills look normal, no redness or cotton growth. I haven't seen her in the act of pooping recently lol but I will watch. All of the guppies are male, as well as two male endlers who tend to school with the guppies. I didn't realize guppies and mollies could crossbreed. That explains why they won't leave her alone.

Do you think I should move her? I have a 10 gallon housing a male and female betta (the male is old and spends most of his time chilling on the gravel, and the female is fairly social) and some mystery snails. Or a 39 with 3 pea puffers and 3 plecos. I feel like the puffers would attack her.

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldnt put her in the 10g with 2 bettas. What size tank is she in now

5. OP
    OP
    PatientStars

She's in a 50 gal community tank. She's with 4 male guppies, 2 male endlers, 7 furcata rainbowfish (3 female, 4 male), 3 harlequin rasboras, 4 neon tetras, some panda cory, neon gold gobies, and 2 bn plecos.