Sick Bala SHark

1. luvmytank Initiate Member

I have a Bala shark with ammonia poisoning. He has lost weight and is looking quite ill. I have done a partial water change, and am planning another 30% tonight with the vacuum. My big question is, does he have a chance of making it? He has a red streak on his dorsal, and tail, however, both have gotten lighter with the water change yesterday. He is swimming straight, I have added more air to the tank, and he did eat a very small amount today. I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 bala sharks, 3 cory catfish, 2 plecostomus, and 1 pictus catfish. I have never had any issues with my tank before, and have lost very few fish, in fact no deaths in the last year. :;hi1

2. STLBluesFan Member Member

well i can tell you that your tank is extremely over stocked and that probably is the number 1 reason why ammonia is effecting your fish. unless your pleco are of the smaller variety they need a much much bigger tank. and im not sure but i would think 2 bala sharks alone would need a bigger tank in the long run, bala sharks can get over a foot long, and pleco over 2 foot long.

3. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

I agree that your tank is overstocked. What is it filtered with? What are your current water parameters?

If you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the My Settings button at the top of this page, and select Edit Aquarium Info. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.