Sick Baby Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Funny, I haven't had a Betta in 2o years, we bought one 2 weeks ago and yesterday we were given another.

The problem is, the other appears to be very sick. A friend of our 9 year old son bought one a few days ago (Wednesday I think they said) and yesterday at practice they were telling us that it was sick, they were going to flush it, etc., so we went over after and brought it home.

Last night and today I've done tons of research and I'm not 100% sold on one issue. Hoping she makes it the night so I can hit the pet shop tomorrow for some medicine. Here are her symptoms:

1. Lack of color. You can tell she is very washed out looking.
2. Lifeless. At times she appears dead. She isn't swimming at all, just hanging around until I disturb her then she takes off.
3: Clamped fins. Her fins are all staying flat except her pecs which she is using when need be. Once in a while she has lifted her dorsal, but her tail and anal are completely clamped. Haven't seen them once.
4: Her mouth appears open at all times and isn't moving. Along with that it seems like her gills are puffed out just a tad. They definitely aren't laying flat on her body or moving in and out while breathing.
5: She hasn't eaten for me at all.

Truth be told, she hasn't been treated well. She is a tiny thing and they put her in a little bowl the size of a grapefruit with some sink water and left her. They had no idea how to take care of her and they said nobody at the pet shop helped them out or told them otherwise.

Today I gave her an Epsom salt bath. 1 tablespoon in 1 gallon of water for 12 minutes. Then I moved her to a tank with 1/4 tablespoon for 15 minutes, then back to clean water. She's in 80 degrees f, ammonia 0, PH 7, nitrates 10ppm right now.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

andychrissytank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try getting some kanaplex
kanamycin is a really potent antifungal and antibiotic that won't mess with her labyrinth gills
some boiled peas every other day or two days can help with bowl movements to flush her insides
what kind of food did they feed her?
she just didn't have a proper home or any treated water so that's what the chlorine in the tap did the her
once she starts eating again we're in the safe zone :]

Last edited:

moonraingirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just put her in a proper tank of at least 5 gallons. Your parameters are fine. You can try feeding her natural food, frozen bloodworms. They are nutritious and should give her energy. Feed her using tweezers, 2-3 worms at the time, straight into her mouth.

Do frequent water changes (some here recommend daily 50%). If you are using antibiotics then do according to instructions on the box or ask here for advice.
I would try a few days without medication because it can be stressful.

Also don't forget to add beneficial bacteria such as seachem stability to speed up cycling process. (don't use them yet if you are doing antibiotics, they would kill your good bacteria)

OP
DuaneV

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the helpful responses but unfortunately she didn't make it through the night.

OP
DuaneV

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, it sucks. Its too bad people look at fish as throw away pets.

moonraingirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Exactly, it's very sad indeed and always makes me angry. :-( I hope that kid won't get another fish or any other pet before he does proper research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 91 65.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 25 18.1%

Top Bottom