Sick Baby Cory

Chandell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys I have been fish keeping only since October. I have a 15 gallon quarantine tank and I just purchased 3 baby false juliis yesterday. The shipment just arrived from Korea, they weren't even placed in the tank yet. They didn't appear to have too much red on them but this morning I noticed one looking pretty red. These cories are very tiny, I have had small ones before but not this small. I don't know what to do I don't want to infect the other two. He seems fine he is eating and swimming around actively. Please send advice!

1BBE2FC9-2B89-4ED8-8F2A-CE18D164D708.jpeg
1A8021A7-2801-4CF1-B9DF-FA88BD024D92.jpeg
08B3DECC-7E76-4AB1-A048-E98188A8E925.jpeg
0F20CD52-D989-4C6F-AEC8-720713516A52.jpeg
7D277C2C-33F0-4F8B-B3E1-3D8D189DC37A.jpeg
B46BFDC6-8FB9-4F34-9EFB-0DE384CD5D14.png
6DDAB257-D226-4022-A2A7-8042A3E4CB05.png
BB42C10F-C54C-4BBE-B502-60223F4A70F0.png
6BA7CEF6-1C07-4234-A699-387E722B4D84.png
8B00C865-C10A-4A87-8BB5-DEBC99E1A8E9.png
Chandell said:
Hey guys I have been fish keeping only since October. I have a 15 gallon quarantine tank and I just purchased 3 baby false juliis yesterday. The shipment just arrived from Korea, they weren't even placed in the tank yet. They didn't appear to have too much red on them but this morning I noticed one looking pretty red. These cories are very tiny, I have had small ones before but not this small. I don't know what to do I don't want to infect the other two. He seems fine he is eating and swimming around actively. Please send advice!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If they were all shipped in the same bag it is very possible that this one got injured in the bag. I would just keep a close eye on it and also keep its water as clean as is possible. I would also keep the lights off so as to not cause stress and just allow the little guy time to heal.

Chandell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
If they were all shipped in the same bag it is very possible that this one got injured in the bag. I would just keep a close eye on it and also keep its water as clean as is possible. I would also keep the lights off so as to not cause stress and just allow the little guy time to heal.
Thanks so much

Sarah73 said:
Also you need at least a 20 gallon tank for your cories
I have a 38 gallon, that is just my quarantine tank!

Chandell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
You are very welcome. Please keep us updated.
I will thanks

Sarah73 said:
O ok! Sorry haha. And just do water changes. If you want you can use paraguard to prevent any infections spreading
I hate using medications it worries me, I am doing a water change soon and I will just watch him. Thanks

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Chandell said:
I hate using medications it worries me, I am doing a water change soon and I will just watch him. Thanks
I am happy to hear (read) this. I think more damage has been done with unnecessary medications than all other things folks do to try to help their fish. In some cases medication is warranted but dosing it when it isn't needed can kill or at least cause damage.

In my humble opinion medications should be reserved as a last resort unless there is no doubt as to what the problem is and the medication is known to heal it.

Chandell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I am happy to hear (read) this. I think more damage has been done with unnecessary medications than all other things folks do to try to help their fish. In some cases medication is warranted but dosing it when it isn't needed can kill or at least cause damage.

In my humble opinion medications should be reserved as a last resort unless there is no doubt as to what the problem is and the medication is known to heal it.
That's what I think! Thanks

Chandell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My little guy
Chandell said:
That's what I think! Thanks
has been doing great and I don't see anymore red so I'm not sure what was going in there as my water tested good and normal and I do 50% weekly water changes! But all is good!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom