Sick Apistogramma

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by spikyfish, Apr 12, 2019.

1. spikyfishNew MemberMember

Hi, I have an Apitogramma and I am not sure what particular species it is. I think it might be a cockatoo cichlid and I am pretty sure it's a female because of the colouration but I am not sure. She got hole in head disease a couple months ago, and below is a picture of what it looked like. I ended up treating it with general cure twice because after waiting a week after the first treatment, I didn't notice any changes. The second treatment was more successful and below is link to a video of my fish now. Recently I have noticed her scratching her head against rocks and the substrate and I am worried something is still wrong. The hole in head looks like it is gone but I have noticed her clamping her fins a lot and her colours have been sometimes looking pretty bleak. She also seems to have lost her feisty character and she seems kind of week. What type of Appisto do you think this is. What do you think could be the ailing her and how can I help my fish?

file:///Users/davinmar/Downloads/IMG_0800.MOV

Attached Files:

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

3. ktorgValued MemberMember

The video doesn't work...

It looks like it's probably a female A. cacatuoides but you have to realize that it's almost impossible to get a 100% ID with only a top-view picture.

Apistogramma are very susceptible to bacterial infections in my experience. If you cleared up the hole-in-the-head then good for you:emoji_thumbsup: Clamping fins, scratching, and drab colors are all signs that something is wrong. If there are no open sores or other signs of exterior infection then it is probably internal. It could be an internal bacterial infection or parasites. You can treat for both of those (parasites and bacterial infections will need different meds) but I wouldn't be too hopeful. In my experience, once apistos get sick it's a slippy slope to their eventual death. I have rarely had any bounce back once they started showing symptoms like these.

It would be best to quarantine and treat new arrivals and practice better husbandry to prevent future outbreaks in your other fish. The fact of it all is that the bacterial and other pathogens (maybe excluding some parasites and superbugs etc) are already in your tank. The fish's immune system is just usually strong enough to fight them off, but when the fish starts getting stressed its immune system isn't working at 100% anymore, and the pathogens take advantage and the fish often get sick. You need to find out what is stressing out the fish. A few suggestions could be: improper diet, poor water quality, bullying, lack of cover, lack of dither fish tank mates, overcrowding, temperature swings, etc.

4. spikyfishNew MemberMember

Thanks for the helpful info. She surprisingly seems to be getting better but I guess it is too early to tell. I don't have a quarantine tank because I am having my house renovated and I do not have enough space in my rental house. Do you think it would be ok to treat again or would that do harm to the fish?