Sick anglefish (male)

1. tootie Initiate Member

Hello there reader's its tootie here with yet another problem.Yes yes I'm asking for more expert advise please is there anybody out there who may know why a perfectly healthy anglefish might just die.This morning i noticed the male angle's abdomen was large like a females is large before she lays her eggs.Well it looked just like that and then it just died.The only thing that comes to mind is perhaps the female lay ed eggs over night and the male ate them all again as he always did once the female lay ed her eggs.How on earth would the male become so swollen when there wasn't any food for him to eat its got me baffled he was so pretty in coloring I'm very sad he died like that all the other three fish are fine no problems so far and the catfish are fine also three of them.I so hope some one may know what happened so as i can make sure it doesent happen again.

2. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

were his scales sticking out at all? if they were it could have been dropsy or if they werent it could have been a bad case of indigestion/constipation. I dont know how he could have gotten any food but maybe dropsy can happen a while after eating??

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Tootie check your water parameters and post them for us please.
    Thanks
    Carol

4. tootie Initiate Member

Dear butterfly i do not understand what water parameters is and how to check it please explain.Ive checked the ph levels nitrite levels,done a 60% water change cleaned all the powerheads filtets out just cant work it out.Maybe the coralfish or dawf coral is eating them as ive scene him hastling fighting with other fish then in a couple of days the fish he hastles are dead.Help.Thanks tootie.

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

your parameters means your Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates ;) If theres someone hassling them then yes stress can make them die.
    Carol

6. tootie Initiate Member

Dear butterfly my ph reads7.0 it fluates last wk it was 6.6 i put ph up in and have checked regualy since.Its been round 7.o its usually around 7.o though.The nitrite levels arent even on the chart the water is clear were on tank water our tank water is really clear i do some how think it was a bullie fish ive had simular problems before same thing really ive had to distroy the bully fish. thanks for always being there guys. Re Tootie.

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Tootie,
    Fluctuating ph might also be a stressor and causing part of the problem. If your ph is fluctuating, you will have to "age" your water before adding it to your tank when you do water changes. The day before or even longer, pour some tap water with dechlor into a bucket or barrell with a heater set to the temperature of your tank. I would also put a large airstone or powerhead in the bucket or barrell to circulate the water well helping it to gas out. This will help your tank ph stay consistent, and you won't be having to add ph up or down to try and keep it stable. ;)

8. tootie Initiate Member

Hi ya Gunnie and readers in grenal,nice 2 catch up again Gunnie i saw some of your tanks yesterday one was your huge oscer's wow truley amazing looking fish.Do u ever get bitten?How old are thay?How long have you had them for and did u buy them small in size and wait 4 them 2 grow?What sized tanks should that sized fish be in like how many gallon's.What do thay eat live foods or bloodworms what in patular is their diet.Thay blew us away.Amazing stuff.I also saw a Koe anglefish beautiful looking angles those ones i think thay were butterflys.Thanks 4 the tips on the ph levels a very clever idea as chemicals arent something i like to use and this flutiation problem is causing me stress problems due to ajusting the ph levels in the tank with ph-Up and ph-down.One thing i dont have tap water im on tank water.Guess ill have to scrounge some tap water.Will keep u posted and thanks Gunnie i so appriciate your help.Regards Tootie.