Help Sick Angelfish. Please Help!

x8xspazx8x

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My angel’s belly has become sunken in. Just yesterday I’ve notice he will no longer eat. Though he still seems interested as he swims to the front of the tank as I approach it. He just won’t go after the food like he used to. Any idea what this could be and how to treat it? API General Cure?

50% water change once a week
Water parameters are in check

c432b06a0de7f7da9f94c99f5a738e79.jpg

77f67ed2a26e513b9f0a81827b9bb696.jpg

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It might be just the pic, but his eye is pretty big for his body. I have a stunted angelfish who I have no idea why. One out of the group. Could be a genetic thing. She is smaller as an adult than the rest and doesn't lay eggs since she fully matured.

The belly looks very emaciated In my experience with this kind of thing, it was camallanus worm. API GC is metronidazole and praziquatel. No dewormers in that.

Basically, if you treat with GC a then a dewormer (or vise versa) you should be covering all the bases for internal parasites.

Unfortunately, a lot of times the fish can't make it once it stops to feed. And it's nearly impossible without looking at a poop under a microscope to notice a problem, so don't beat yourself up it anything. I truly hope she bounces back!

x8xspazx8x

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It might be just the pic, but his eye is pretty big for his body. I have a stunted angelfish who I have no idea why. One out of the group. Could be a genetic thing. She is smaller as an adult than the rest and doesn't lay eggs since she fully matured.

The belly looks very emaciated In my experience with this kind of thing, it was camallanus worm. API GC is metronidazole and praziquatel. No dewormers in that.

Basically, if you treat with GC a then a dewormer (or vise versa) you should be covering all the bases for internal parasites.

Unfortunately, a lot of times the fish can't make it once it stops to feed. And it's nearly impossible without looking at a poop under a microscope to notice a problem, so don't beat yourself up it anything. I truly hope she bounces back!
Any suggestions for a dewormer?

How long have you had it? The size looks to me maybe silver dollar size or just a bit larger. Perhaps an inch and a half or so?
I’ve had him maybe 1 in a half. Ordered him from someone out in Texas. I’d say he’s a little bigger than a half dollar.

Last edited by a moderator:

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wormer laced foods are wonderful if the fish is eating, but you gotta make sure it gets eaten. Levamisole and flubendazole are absorbed thru the skin just FYI

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom