Sick Angelfish (one Of A Pair)

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Monrankim, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Monrankim

MonrankimNew MemberMember

In the photo, the male Angel of the pair is watching the female that is stationary and almost vertical. She is not eating and is staying in this position mostly. Yesterday she wasn't like this. The only other thing I noticed recently with her was a "coughing" fit on occasion. One if the tetras have what appears to be bloat, in the same tank (75 g). I am currently setting up a hospital tank and I am about to go to Petco because it's the only place open today. From what I am reading, the bloat of the tetras is the fatal phase of a bacterial infection. The Angel does not appear to be bloated. I want to do what I can to save her and I would appreciate any feedback. I am assuming that this is a bacterial infection resulting from stress. The tank went through a major re-scape and water changes. Does anyone know the best treatment? Is there something I can buy at Petco?

Tank:

The tank has a slight ammonia spike (.25 ppm) which is probably do to a H202 algae treatment and/or disturbing the soil substrate under the cap. The tank is up in it's water changes and parameters are stable other than the ammonia. I will be doing another water change other than quarantine/hospital tank. The tank the fish are in is a high tech (high light/Co2) planted tank with a year old soil substrate. The angels have been in the tank since the beginning, raised from babies. Filtration is a Marineland c360 with charcoal at the moment (I am recharging Purigen), bio media, the usual.[​IMG]

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Hello!

I had something very similar when I did a large water change my angels weren't prepared for and ended up having a teeny ammonia spike as well. If you notice along the top "edge" of the body, there is a very red coloration going along the top that extends to the eye, this is an ammonia burn from said ammonia in the tank (exactly what happened to mine). A good stay in QT with nice clean water and doses of stress coat should clear it up! However, do monitor her, if it ends up being more (like what your tetras have) you may need to medicate her as well.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. OP
    OP
    Monrankim

Thanks for the reply, I'm working on the QT now. This is really sad, I think she is going to die. I don't see the red in her and other than the one Tetra, the other fish seem fine.

Video

[​IMG]

4. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Oh no! The poor thing. It really makes me sad when I see angels pass. :(. And I'm sorry about my earlier post, I didn't realize the angel in question was the one not front in center of the photo. The poor thing. She probably lived beautifully in your care. dont give up quite yet (I never do). You never know, she could make a miraculous comeback :)

5. OP
    OP
    Monrankim

I won't give up. I appreciate your words, it really bums me out because I took a lot of pride in keeping them healthy. I am by no means an expert fishkeeper, I know more about the aquatic plant related stuff and this really blindsided me. I just set up a small QT tank and got the filter running. I'm worried about the pH difference, if it will push her over the edge. I will do my best to acclimate her. I am going to Petco now to hopefully find something that will work, trypaflavine perhaps.

What really gets me is her mate. He keeps swimming up to her and staring. A lot of people would tell me "they are just fish" but this pair of Angels have been the first thing I see in the morning and the last thing I see before going to sleep for a year. They have been a part of my life and my tanks an extension of my self in a way. I haven't realized this really until now

6. Herkimur

HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

Never use an algaecide in a tank with breathing life.
    The main reason of sudden fish death in a planted tank is because the owner uses algaecide products.

An algaecide in a fish tank is equivalent to a weed killer on honey bees.

7. OP
    OP
    Monrankim

I didn't use an algaecide product. I killed algae with h2o2 which is a somewhat common practice with planted tank fish keepers. It breaks down into water and oxygen leaving nothing else. The problem is that you can take out your biofilter and initiate a mini-cycle if too much is used or you turn filters in too soon. I also stirred up plants and inadvertently stirred up the soil substrate releasing a lot of junk into the water column which I believe led to one of my fish dying unfortunately.

8. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Peroxide in a fish tank. I've heard or people doing that. Personally I'd never try it.
    I did stir up some root tabs 1 time and got a major nitrate spike. Your angle may have eaten something you stirred up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice