Sick Angel Fish ?

RileyL12

Hi, So I got my angelfish for my birthday on january 18th. They were just brought in and still in the bags. My one angelfish looks like it’s “peeling” kinda. It has like a white spot on its head and a couple on the side. I think it might be a mucus disease maybe ? (I am new to aquariums) Can anyone help and help me how to treat this ?
I also have in my 30g tank, 18 fish.
2 gourami
4 zebra danios
1 pleco
2 albino corydoras
2 mollies
2 long tail barbs
5 angelfish

Attachments

• 3D3597F0-7C0C-427B-90F9-0F9FFAA4A9A5.png
    3D3597F0-7C0C-427B-90F9-0F9FFAA4A9A5.png
    542.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 58AAB533-8C91-418D-A245-495AE297EA7E.png
    58AAB533-8C91-418D-A245-495AE297EA7E.png
    591 KB · Views: 22
  • 148A54EC-3070-4A6A-BC87-2B251D6C36EE.png
    148A54EC-3070-4A6A-BC87-2B251D6C36EE.png
    543.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 10E081DB-7A9D-4D1C-BB26-57D45230F1B7.png
    10E081DB-7A9D-4D1C-BB26-57D45230F1B7.png
    510 KB · Views: 21
  • F0A78140-5477-47E9-8EAA-3D145BB0399F.png
    F0A78140-5477-47E9-8EAA-3D145BB0399F.png
    638.5 KB · Views: 20

Dennis57

Hi, and Welcome to Fishlore.

Can you please fill out the Emergency Template first this way we may be able to help you out better.

RileyL12

Can you please fill out the Emergency Template first this way we may be able to help you out better.

yes i can fill it out !!
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 30 gallons
How long has the tank been running? january 15th (6 days)
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 74-76 degrees F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
1 pleco, 2 gourami, 4 danios, 2 long tail barbs, 5 angelfish, 2 mollies, 2 corydoras

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? haven’t changed it yet since it hasn’t been a week.
How much of the water do you change? n/a
What do you use to treat your water? i used quick start, stress coat and stress zyme
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? both if i had done it yet

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? master tester ph kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.0 & high range ph: 8.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2-3 times a day
How much do you feed your fish? a few flakes per fish & about 4 algae wafers for the bottom feeders
What brand of food do you feed your fish? n/a
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? the first 9, 4 days. second 9, 1 day.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? this morning
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? no symptoms, just weird skin
Have you started any treatment for the illness? not yet, don’t know what to do
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? wasn’t told about it if it was
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? no, it swims with the rest of the fish like normal

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

so, i noticed me angel fish looks like it’s “peeling”. it has these white fuzzy ish looking patches. they were fine monday- wednesday. i just noticed it oh him this morning. he’s eating fine and swimming fine but it’s definitely not normal ! please help !

2 of my angelfish have have this actually, i’m now seeing it on one of my yellow ones. it was harder before but now i’m inspecting them

SouthAmericanCichlids

What is the water volume of the tank? 30 gallons
How long has the tank been running? january 15th (6 days)
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 74-76 degrees F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
1 pleco, 2 gourami, 4 danios, 2 long tail barbs, 5 angelfish, 2 mollies, 2 corydoras

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? haven’t changed it yet since it hasn’t been a week.
How much of the water do you change? n/a
What do you use to treat your water? i used quick start, stress coat and stress zyme
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? both if i had done it yet

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? master tester ph kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.0 & high range ph: 8.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2-3 times a day
How much do you feed your fish? a few flakes per fish & about 4 algae wafers for the bottom feeders
What brand of food do you feed your fish? n/a
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? the first 9, 4 days. second 9, 1 day.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? this morning
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? no symptoms, just weird skin
Have you started any treatment for the illness? not yet, don’t know what to do
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? wasn’t told about it if it was
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? no, it swims with the rest of the fish like normal

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

so, i noticed me angel fish looks like it’s “peeling”. it has these white fuzzy ish looking patches. they were fine monday- wednesday. i just noticed it oh him this morning. he’s eating fine and swimming fine but it’s definitely not normal ! please help !
Maybe columnaris. It could also be from stress, or it touching the heater in your tank. Stress can discolor a fish. And also, with my angels I don't know why, but they always like going towards the heater and burn themselves, so it could be burn marks. I am not the best with diseases, but no one else is posting so I'll try. Also temperatures for angels should be at least 78, preferably higher if possible, but they will thrive at 78. Also about your stock, 5 angels is too much for a 30g (Full grown). Also barbs danios and cories need groups of at least 6 (some say 5 though) and danios can be quite nippy to long finned fish (Like angels) and barbs in small numbers can also be very nippy to fish with long fins. Overall, I think it's overstocked.

RileyL12

thank you for the reply ! they do tend to hang out by the heater! also my angelfish are not full grown at all, they are decently small actually ! we do plan on getting a bigger tank here soon or getting a smaller one and transferring some fish, but we don’t have the room as of now !

SouthAmericanCichlids

thank you for the reply ! they do tend to hang out by the heater! also my angelfish are not full grown at all, they are decently small actually ! we do plan on getting a bigger tank here soon or getting a smaller one and transferring some fish, but we don’t have the room as of now !
For five angels I would say you should get a 60 gallon, maybe a 55 would work, but 6o would be better though. But for now they should be fine. Yeah, you might want to look into getting a heater with plastic around it and one that heats the tank to 78.

RileyL12

For five angels I would say you should get a 60 gallon, maybe a 55 would work, but 6o would be better though. But for now they should be fine. Yeah, you might want to look into getting a heater with plastic around it and one that heats the tank to 78.

hello ! i was actually planning on getting a new tank in the summer (55-60 gallons) i got this tank as a set, but i do want to upgrade and i figured go bigger sooner than smaller sooner and have to keep upgrading. which means i will be able to get a nicer heater and things of that nature! i did add medicine to my tank earlier for a general cure to inside and outside diseases, hopefully they get better. i think we bought them sick and didn’t notice at first bc they were fresh off the delivery truck, but we will see. natural selection i guess

RileyL12

Hi, So I got my angelfish for my birthday on january 18th. They were just brought in and still in the bags. My one angelfish looks like it’s “peeling” kinda. It has like a white spot on its head and a couple on the side. I think it might be a mucus disease maybe ? (I am new to aquariums) Can anyone help and help me how to treat this ?
2 gourami
4 zebra danios
1 pleco
2 albino corydoras
2 mollies
2 long tail barbs
5 angelfish

Hello, I just wanted to update everyone who’s replied or seen this. Unfortunately all 5 of my angelfish do have this, and i’ve come to the conclusion that it is fin rot. I’ve medicated, and done some other things, but they are unfortunately not helping. It’s progressing pretty fast, so unfortunately I have decided to let nature take its course. I did not want to continue to waste medication, and if the medicine wasn’t helping there’s nothing more I can do. Thank you, everyone, for the feedback. Mac & Cheese, Boba & Jengo & Seaweed will be missed when they do go. It was a 50/50 shot when I got them if they would be sick or not and not even days later it started to show.

Dennis57

Hi, I'm very sorry about the Angels. But have you tried API Melafix?

RileyL12

Hi, I'm very sorry about the Angels. But have you tried API Melafix?

we have, unfortunately it’s progressing faster than what the medicines can catch. it’s very saddening, but like I said they were a 50/50 shot. I am still debating on quarantining them though. I do not wish too, but I may have to, just so they don’t die in my main tank.

RileyL12

2 gourami
4 zebra danios
1 pleco
2 albino corydoras
2 mollies
2 long tail barbs
5 angelfish

update: unfortunately one of the angelfish have died today, and i’m sure the others are to follow soon. we put them in a sick tank and we are treating them, but it does not seem to be helping. i want to thank everyone for their replies though, it was just a series of unfortunate events. a few of my angelfish have actually started swimming upside down/ sideways. they were a shot in the dark

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
29 Gallon Tank Should i get 2 new fish?
Replies
Views
SpottedKit329