Sick Again

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
:'(

So the fasting did not help Satin with the swimbladder thing. Or peas. I dont think that he is constipated so its possible that his swimbladder has ruptured or he is getting old. Either way most websites say that its not fatal so I think I'm just gonna move on from that one.

Sadly, the fin rot has started getting worse again. There are transparent patches all over Satin's fins. I feel so bad for him. Ever since he's been with me its been one thing after another. Water parmeters are all zero. Temp I raised to 85. One site said that salt would help so he's got a teaspoon of salt for his ten gallon. Should I do ten percent daily water changes? And what antibiotic will definitely work? I have a five gallon I could put him in. I have recently heard of an antibiotic bath. What is this? Is it more effective then just administering the meds to the whole tank? The melafix and pimafix have failed me. I dont know what to do. I just want to make him better.

:'(

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry that you are going through so many problems with your baby. I wish that I knew what to say to help you. I just wish you the best of luck in finding a cure for whatever is wrong with him (Satin, is it?).

You are both in my thoughts.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
when i first got Inari he suffered from fin rot something fierce, I went to Petco and bought a bottle of 'BettaFix Remedy' it is supposed to help with fin rot, mouth fungus, ick and some other stuff that i can't find on the bottle. for the fin rot it has been helping a ton his fins are starting to color back up and his torn up tail, dorsal, and analfins are regrowing and looking beautiful again. This stuff is like $3/bottle trats 15 us gallons idk what the name brand for this is(melefix ect) but this stuff works well for me anyway. Hope this helps and like i said $3 at Petco

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
I believe that bettafix is a watered down melafix. Thanks for the thoughts and kind words.

Anyone else? Rose?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
An antibiotic bath is basically just having the antibiotic in the water and leaving the fish in the water to allow the antibiotic to be absorbed through its skin as opposed to injection or food administration, so adding the medication to the tank water is in effect giving him an "antibiotic bath". The salt bath is recommended at a dosage of 1 tsp per gallon of water built up gradually to prevent shock. Be sure you are not using table salt as it has additives that are not good for him. You will need Kosher or Aquarium salt. There are antilbiotics that are fairly strong that are recommended for an antibiotic bath for the treatment of finrot, they are Chlortetracycline, Oxytetracycline hydrochloride, and Nifurpirinol. One commercial medication that contains some of the above type medication is Furan-2 put out by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. The directions listed in my fish health books say that the antibiotic bath needs to be continuous for 5 days and then may need to be repeated. These are potent medications and used as a next step after the Melafix and Pimafix. If you decide to use this medication it can be used with the salt in the tank as well.

I am so sorry he is having this trouble. Please let me know if there is anything more I can do. Believe me I do know what you are going through. There is no pain like seeing your little friend suffer and not knowing how to fix it. I will be sure to watch for your posts most closely.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ebbandflow said:
I believe that bettafix is a watered down melafix. Thanks for the thoughts and kind words.

Anyone else? Rose?
sorry i didn't know what melafix did otherwise i wouldn't have suggested it anyway good luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom