Sick African Dwarf Frog? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by CMB, Jul 9, 2019.

1. CMB

CMBWell Known MemberMember

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but it's the only place I can think of. My ADF seems sick, and I'm really worried about it.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
    10 gallons

How long has the tank been running?
    A bit over a month

Does it have a filter?
    Yes

Does it have a heater?
    Yes

What is the water temperature?
    77.4 degrees

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    1 Male Betta Fish (super peaceful, doesn't even mess with the shrimp)
    2 Amano Shrimp
    4 African Dwarf Frogs

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?
    Once a week

How much of the water do you change?
    Around 3 gallons, so roughly 1/3 of my water.

What do you use to treat your water?
    Nothing, I use my well water and it is perfectly safe for the fish.

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
    I do a bit of substrate vacuuming, but it's hard to do with all the plants in there.

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
    Yes, I took some media from my established 75 gallon tank and used it to instantly cycle the tank.

What do you use to test the water?
    API Freshwater Test Kit

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: Around 10, I think (it's pretty hard to read the color)
    pH:

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish?
    Once a day

How much do you feed your fish?
    A couple of pinches for the frogs, a few small pellets for the Betta.

What brand of food do you feed your fish?
    Omega and ZooMed, with some frozen food and the occasional shrimp pellet thrown in.

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
    Yes, once or twice a week.

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish?
    Just over a month now.

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
    A day or two ago.

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
    Skin coming off in tatters rather than shedding properly, and sitting on top of the filter so that it's above the waterline.

Have you started any treatment for the illness?
    Not yet.

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
    Not that I could see.

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
    I can see tattered skin coming off of it rather than a clean shed, and it is sitting on top of the filter so that it's 3/4 of the way out of the water. The last day or two, I haven't seen it come over during feeding time.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I think it was yesterday, I noticed this frog sitting on the top of the filter. I've seen this frog perch on the filter before, but usually all that sticks out is its nose. Yesterday, a fair portion of the frog's body was sitting outside of the water, and it looks like the skin is coming off in tatters. As far as I can tell, the water seems fine and no other frog seems affected. What should I do?

2. LilBlub

LilBlubWell Known MemberMember

That sounds like a fungal infection. I’d treat right away with a medication that contains Methylene blue and monitor your other frogs to see if they develop the same thing.

3. OP
    OP
    CMB

Yeah, I've heard you can use a toe fungus treatment and some sort of a bath? Anyway, what should I do with the rest of the tank? Skills I sterilize or anything? Would you isolate this guy, and would you treat all the frogs, or just him?

4. LilBlub

Definitely treat the whole tank to make sure the other frogs don’t get infected. But I don’t know how bettas and shrimp will do with that particular medicine, so you may want to quarantine them and add them back in after the treatment is over.
    I’d stick to medications that are approved for fish and frogs. They have much more sensitive skin than humans so I don’t know if they would react well with human medicine.

5. OP
    OP
    CMB

Alright, I found the poor little guy dead this morning. I'm going to go ahead and treat the other three and hope they come out alright.

6. LilBlub

Good luck! I hope none of the others catch it. Sometimes it’s isolated to a single frog but it’s best to treat the whole tank to be sure.