Sick African Dwarf Frog Help

1. oodelally

oodelally Valued Member Member

I have 3 African Dwarf Frogs, and one has recently lost a lot of weight. Today when I got home she’s been hanging out at the top of the tank and doesn’t seem as active as normal.

I put her in a cup with some bloodworms but she’s not really eating. Anything I can do?

I recently had another frog die unexpectedly who seemed perfectly healthy. My tank has had several water changes since then.

2. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    oodelally

4. AJE

Yours looks a lot better than that one though I would say keep the water clean and make sure it is eating

5. OP
    OP
    oodelally

I think I’m going to keep her in there for a bit and maybe set up my QT for her, and do a water change in the main tank after dinner.

Can I ask how she looks better? The other one seemed just as thin. :(

6. AJE

By this picture it does, you could see the other ones ribs and spine

7. OP
    OP
    oodelally

I hope that means she has a better chance. She’s been in a 10g with a heater and filter.

How long should I leave the bloodworms in with her? I’ve never dealt with left overs before.

8. OP
    OP
    oodelally

Now she seems to have very small white patches that look like it could be the start of a fungus or skin shedding. I tried taking a picture but it’s still too small.

Not knowing quite what is can I still start some sort of treatment?

9. OP
    OP
    oodelally

This morning she seems a bit better, she’s much more active though she is mainly sticking near the top still. BUT in the better light her skin definitely looks like it’s shredding. :(

I’m afraid it’s Chytrid, I’ve had this guys since late March or early April so this is around the 3 month mark. Anything I can do to help her or prevent it from effecting the other that were in the tank with her?

10. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

if it is chytrid, you'll need to disinfect everything and do the lamisil treatment that's in the pinned adf chytrid thread here. if that one has it, then the others have it too, or at least the spores are in their tank. so i'd go ahead and do it for all of them. a member's frogs had chytrid recently and it looks like two of them have recovered from it following the treatment. here's the thread. then this member just used api fungal cure to clear up a non-chytrid fungus here.

best of luck! keep us updated.

11. OP
    OP
    oodelally

Thank you, I’m getting ready for work today so I’ll be reading those threads as soon as I can.

In the same tank I also have a betta, 1 amano shrimp, 2 ghost shrimp, 2 nerite snails and 1 assassin. Should they be treated too or kept far away from any medicine? I know shrimp and snails are sensitive.

12. midna

hmm..... they won't get infected, but they could be carrying spores. not sure what to do about them except put the frogs in their own tank for a few months, or permanently. :/

13. OP
    OP
    oodelally

14. midna

poor baby ;; yeah, usually with chytrid they turn pale. any i've never seen that much stuff on them before. @maggie thecat, any opinions?

tbh i wouldn't use melafix or pimafix because they have lungs, and i think the tea tree oil in those meds might be toxic or make breathing difficult.

15. OP
    OP
    oodelally

Also, the thread created by @Lucy has two different treatments. One is 200ml of water to 10 sprays of lamisil with a 5 min bath and two quarantine tanks. The other:

"I checked with the herpetologist we are working with about the dosage for dwarf frogs. I would use 10 squirts of lamisal AT into 400 ML's of water. Make enough solution for the frog to live in. You will need to change the solution every 3rd day for 3 times. Break down the main tank and sterilize."
    Steve Busch

Should I keep them all in the same QTs or keep her separate from the other while I treat them all?

16. OP
    OP
    oodelally

I figured it would be good to just have them on hand even if I shouldn’t use them this time. Just having bettafix on hand I was able to treat my betta for popeye right away and he was better in less than two days.

I’m really surprised how tattered her skin got so quickly. She only had a patch or two that I could see last night.

Thanks so much by the way you’ve been so helpful!

17. midna

i'd do the first one, use about 1ml of lamisil and i think a 10 minute bath?? if it says 5 minute, then do 5. i would personally separate her from the rest if you can, since she's the worst atm

they go downhill pretty fast :/ so it's imperative you start treatment asap. the others will naturally have an increased chance of survival since they aren't showing symptoms yet, but it's possible she'll recover if you act quickly. and np!!! i hate hearing about these babies in bad shape D:

oh yeah, you can also give her a diluted flavorless pedialyte bath if you're concerned about her weight. she'll get some electrolytes that way. it's in the adf sexing thread, i don't remember the exact length of time or dilution amount.

18. babiimoore

babiimoore Valued Member Member

i just went through this, im very sorry. if the frog is peeling i would start the lamisil bath immediately. i did 10/14 squirts in 400ml. you need to get the frogs in a clean bleached tank, bath them for 5 minutes, then put them back in a newly cleaned bleached tank. it was recommended to me to have two tanks on hand so one is always clean. they are shedding spores so they need clean water. i also gave them a pedialyte bath at a 1 to 10 ratio for 2 hours after every lamisil bath for hydration. i found that once they start peeling they only have a few days left, im sorry. i lost three and im pretty sure the treatment saved my two other frogs. id treat asap.

19. OP
    OP
    oodelally

I just gave all three a bath, unfortunately I had to put the other two back in the original tank since there was no where else yet. I figure better than nothing and I can do an extra day with them. I cleaned out her qt and put in fresh water, I thought I had bleach but I guess not. I’ll have to get some in the morning.

Tomorrow I’m setting up a brand new tank and starting fresh and putting everyone else in (I’ll have to cycle with them all in which isn’t preferable...) That way I can use this current one as another QT while I do all this. I also have a very large vase (maybe 2.5 gallons?) I can also use as a QT, I don’t know what else I use to make a forth tank.

20. babiimoore

babiimoore Valued Member Member

i kept them in 2 gallon plastic containers during this process, clean water is more important then space. just a normal container will do.