Sicce Syncra Silent For Sponge Filter?

r_e_g

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm working on choosing filtration for my new 40g breeder. I happen to have a Sicce Syncra Silent 1.0 water pump sitting around that my partner used briefly and am wondering if I could use it to power a sponge filter. I know that you can use powerheads to run sponge filters so I'm thinking that this might work the same way. According to the manufacturer, the flow rate ranges from 145.3-251 gph. Thanks!

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
r_e_g said:
I'm working on choosing filtration for my new 40g breeder. I happen to have a Sicce Syncra Silent 1.0 water pump sitting around that my partner used briefly and am wondering if I could use it to power a sponge filter. I know that you can use powerheads to run sponge filters so I'm thinking that this might work the same way. According to the manufacturer, the flow rate ranges from 145.3-251 gph. Thanks!
There should be on problems with that pump running the sponge filter and they are great for biological filtration and water surface agitation. But I would eventually suppliment it with an appropriate hang on back power to help with polishing the water with a tank that size.

r_e_g

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
finnipper59 said:
There should be on problems with that pump running the sponge filter and they are great for biological filtration and water surface agitation. But I would eventually suppliment it with an appropriate hang on back power to help with polishing the water with a tank that size.
Thank you very much! Yep, I'm planning to couple it with an Aquaclear (model TBD) but I can at least start with this when I first fill it, see how much more water movement I want, and go from there.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
r_e_g said:
Thank you very much! Yep, I'm planning to couple it with an Aquaclear (model TBD) but I can at least start with this when I first fill it, see how much more water movement I want, and go from there.
I've always found it better to go with a power filter that is rated a little higher. For your 40 gallon tank, get pne that is rated for 50 gallons. Especially since you want to use it as a breeding tank. To keep your fry from getting sucked into the filter, buy a pair of ladies knee high nylon stockings and rubber band it over the intake tebe once the eggs are laid. This will not only keep th fry ftom being sucked up, but it will slow the water flow a little through the filter.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom