Siamese Fighter Fin Rot

Kaylee1506

Reaction score
Hi
My siamese fighter has fin rot. I have the medicine to put in the water. I was advised to do a 100% water change from yesterday for 7 days. I just wanted to Check if this is correct as I have read elsewhere that a 50% water change would be better.
Thanks

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi
My siamese fighter has fin rot. I have the medicine to put in the water. I was advised to do a 100% water change from yesterday for 7 days. I just wanted to Check if this is correct as I have read elsewhere that a 50% water change would be better.
Thanks
What medicine do you have? A 75% water change would be fine. Why were you advised to do 7 consecutive 100% water changes?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's called magic muti
The pet shop that I bought it from advised that
Can you double check the full name of that medication? I can't find "magic muti" -in any database. So they are probably recommending the big water changes because your ammonia or nitrates were really high, right?. In that case, do 2 consecutive 75% water changes, then follow the directions on the medication.

Kaylee1506

Reaction score
Can you double check the full name of that medication? I can't find "magic muti" -in any database. So they are probably recommending the big water changes because your ammonia or nitrates were really high, right?. In that case, do 2 consecutive 75% water changes, then follow the directions on the medication.
This is the medicine
IMG_20190910_175914.jpg

Spyder

Valued Member
Reaction score
"
Magic Muti - "A Poent combination of Malachite green and formaldehyde"

This is the same product as POND TREATMENT; it is a malachite green/ formaldehyde combination, which has a proven success rate. Used to treat protozoan infections: costia, chilodonella, trichodina and ichthyophthirius (ich), fungal infections, bacterial infections, skin and gill flukes.
"

FWIW they misspelled "potent" on their product description page. Never heard of or seen this stuff before. Hopefully someone else has who can help you out!

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
"
Magic Muti - "A Poent combination of Malachite green and formaldehyde"

This is the same product as POND TREATMENT; it is a malachite green/ formaldehyde combination, which has a proven success rate. Used to treat protozoan infections: costia, chilodonella, trichodina and ichthyophthirius (ich), fungal infections, bacterial infections, skin and gill flukes.
"

FWIW they misspelled "potent" on their product description page. Never heard of or seen this stuff before. Hopefully someone else has who can help you out!
It's malachite green and formaldehyde. Pretty standard treatment, just a different brand. It may work if the fin rot is infected with a fungus. If there's bacterial involvement, it may do nothing to improve the condition.
Test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Most of the time fin rot arises from inadequate water changes/tank maintenance. Just making sure you keep your nitrate levels <20ppm with adequate weekly partial water changes and substrate vacuuming may help your bettas fins heal.

Last edited:

Kaylee1506

Reaction score
It's malachite green and formaldehyde. Pretty standard treatment, just a different brand. It may work if the fin rot is infected with a fungus. If there's bacterial involvement, it may do nothing to improve the condition.
Test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Most of the time fin rot arises from inadequate water changes/tank maintenance. Just making sure you keep your nitrate levels <20ppm with adequate weekly partial water changes and substrate vacuuming may help your bettas fins heal.
He sadly didn't make it.

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 21 72.4%

Top Bottom