Siamese Algae Eaters Mating? | Page 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Junne, Apr 23, 2018.

1. DarkOne

DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,942
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Mine lay on top of rocks or horizontal anubias leaves when sleeping.

I have a bunch of EBA babies in my 75g and during feeding time, they all come to the top. My SAEs in that tank also join the babies and greet me at the top for food.

2. OP
    OP
    Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +1,579
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

That's awesome! They are quite the character! I've never seen them literally lying a 1/4 inch apart from each other but on top of each other! It's so weird, like they are in some secret pecking order club or something. :D

3. OP
    OP
    Junne

Ratings:
    +1,579
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    These SAE's are such hard workers! I threw in a cutting from my main tank that was covered in BBA. Its been 2 days and its almost clean! I can't wait to put them in my main tank and see the magic happen! NOT to mention they are extremely cute ( but shy ) fish!
    Even my baby dojo loach is eating the stuff!

Sorry about the bad quality of video - as soon as I get close they can see me and then they stop whatever they are doing!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  4. DarkOne

DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,942
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They do a great job on BBA. I have none in any of the tanks they're in now.

Unfortunately, my little runt in my 20g didn't make it. I didn't see him this morning which was odd. This evening, I saw him under a rock cave on his side, barely hanging on. A few hours later, he's gone :(. The other 2 I got with him easily doubled in size and he just never grew, even with a full belly. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. Just about 2 months.

5. OP
    OP
    Junne

Ratings:
    +1,579
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Oh no! Sorry to hear that! :(

I have a loach like that ( he's been with me for 4 years so far ) and he has not grown even the slightest since I've had him! He's as small as a kuhli loach and I wonder why he's so small given that he eats like the rest of them!!!!

6. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,263
    Experience:
    Just started
    They’re definitely great hair-algae eaters. My tank used to be covered in it, and now it’s been long taken care of. This was many months ago. I didn’t even need to change the lighting duration, mess with fertilizers, or anything like that. Us being the best algae cleaner or preventer isn’t always true.

7. OP
    OP
    Junne

Ratings:
    +1,579
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Boy you are not kidding. I've only had these guys for 14 days and can't wait until they are done with qt. I agree about the algae. Ive had this tank running for four years. All 3 of my tanks have similar lighting, same exact water source and only this one tank gets the bba and i have kept the phosphates in control, photo period, etc and nothing changes. My only guess is that they came in on some plants i got online and just took off from there. My platys peck at the bba but no difference. I dont have any other types of algae so who knows??????

8. D. Winchester

D. WinchesterNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    5 years
    Did you ever figure out what they were doing? I have 3 SAE in my 91g Discus tank, and they've been doing the same thing ..

9. OP
    OP
    Junne

Ratings:
    +1,579
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I think they were/are mating. I noticed out of the 4 I have, one is extremely "plump" - hoping we have some fry but probably very unlikely.
    They are ferocious black beard algae eaters and my tank is almost completely cleaned up - now they seem to be going after the Java moss because what I had before, is now less than 1/2 now! :mad:
    They are very hard workers :)

10. D. Winchester

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    5 years
    Fascinating. I'm not sure if this is from that behavior, but I have one that has a small wound that seems to be improving with Pimafix. I tried to catch him to move him to the hospital tank... but he's too fast.... Lol. Thank you for your response... let us know if you have babies

11. OP
    OP
    Junne

Ratings:
    +1,579
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    They are pretty quick - good luck :)
    I'm hoping for babies but I hear its very unlikely in a home aquarium. Then again, they said the same thing about a batch of zebra danios that were born in my tank a few years back :eek:

12. D. Winchester

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    5 years
    Very cool!!!!