Siamese Algae Eaters Mating?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Junne, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Are these Siamese algae eaters doing a mating ritual?

I've had these 4 for about 2 weeks ( currently in QT tank )

2. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

I've never heard of them breeding in home aquariums naturally, and especially not in a bare tank either. If they really are breeding, it would be remarkable.

3. OP
    OP
    Junne

I'm pretty sure of that as well but I am curious if this video of them represents mating or dominance/fighting?

4. FriarThomasIII

Seems like a dominance kind of thing to me. But I've never seen them fight before either, though. All the ones we kept were very peaceful towards the others and their species. Maybe due to the size of the tank?

5. OP
    OP
    Junne

This is the only thing they do ( have you watched the video? ) The tank is a 10 gallon ( QT tank ) and in a few weeks, will be moved to the 72 gallon. Right now these are about 2 inches big ( juveniles )

6. FriarThomasIII

Yeah, I watched the video until the end, and they were swirling around each other and chasing. I just can't see them mating in an environment like that. Doesn't make sense. I wonder if anyone has had an experience like this before?

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

It's hard to tell from the video, but are you sure those are SAE? I don't see the black line going into the caudal fin.

I was also thinking more dominance/hierachy behavior.

8. FriarThomasIII

They
    could be flying foxes, right? I didn't think of that.

9. TexasDomer

They could be a myriad of species - there are half a dozen or so that are often mislabeled as SAE.

10. OP
    OP
    Junne

Nope, I got them from a breeder - not flying foxes. They are the Crossocheilus siamensis

11. TexasDomer

How did you get them from a breeder? Is he actively breeding them in his home aquaria?

12. OP
    OP
    Junne

Supplier -

13. TexasDomer

They most likely got them from breeding farms that use hormones, or they're wild caught. I doubt they breed themselves, especially without the use of hormones.

Does yours have the black stripe through its caudal? I just can't see them from the video.

14. OP
    OP
    Junne

Yes it does and only one set of very small barbels.

20180412_210424.jpg

15. DarkOne

DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

They're definitely saimensis.

I thought it was a dominance thing at first but the shimmying next to each other towards the end of the video definitely seems more like a mating ritual than dominance. Then again, it could be they're fighting for the algae wafer.

I have 4 in a 75g (2"), 3 in a 40g (2") and 2 in a 20g (1") and never saw that type of behavior. There is a bit of nipping for dominance but it only lasts a few seconds at most. The 2 in the 20g was for them to grow out a bit as they were less than 1" but one hasn't grown much despite big bellies after feeding.

16. OP
    OP
    Junne

Thanks - they were doing this BEFORE I dropped the food in. At first I thought they were fighting and so I put food in and they scattered away and then started over again.
    I've seen this at least a few times in the last few days but they stop when I come up to the tank.
    I know they are Siamensis because I clipped off part of a plant in my 72 gallon that has the black beard algae and they were going after it.

17. DarkOne

DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

When they fight, they're much quicker than that from my limited experiences. 1 in my 40g can get territorial even in a well planted tank. It's not often and it only last a second or so at most. Most of the time, they're shoaling together and eating algae.

When mine were in QT (3 at a time), I cut amazon sword leaves with BBA and planted in the QT. It was clean by the next morning or evening. The tanks they're in now have no BBA or any other algae. I throw in algae wafers but they seem to love hornwort needles and get fat on it. They'll also go after frozen and freeze dried brine shrimp and blood worms. Pretty much anything in the tank.

18. OP
    OP
    Junne

No fighting here that I have seen ( at least not the fighting I have seen with other fish ) thats why I was curious if the behavior they were exhibiting in the video was mating.

I've been feeding mine algae wafers ( plus they have the bba plant ) shrimp pellets, blood worms, brine shrimp. I've only had them for about 12 days but I think I am going to put them in the main tank very soon. I normally qt for 6 weeks but these guys seem very healthy and would probably benefit from being in a much larger tank. Plus I think my baby loach is getting tired of them eating up all of the food! :mad:

19. TexasDomer

They're sure cute fellas! You may see less of this behavior in the main tank too. Though how cool would it be if they mated and had fry!

20. OP
    OP
    Junne

Thank you - That would be awesome - I hear they are very difficult to breed! I only have 4 at the moment but it would be nice to get 4 more........ When they are sleeping ( I assume its sleeping because its a few hours after the lights go out ) they are almost piled on top of each other and not moving - almost like dominoes! :) very funny

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018