Siamese Algae Eaters Mating?

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are these Siamese algae eaters doing a mating ritual?

I've had these 4 for about 2 weeks ( currently in QT tank )

FriarThomasIII

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
I've never heard of them breeding in home aquariums naturally, and especially not in a bare tank either. If they really are breeding, it would be remarkable.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
FriarThomasIII said:
I've never heard of them breeding in home aquariums naturally, and especially not in a bare tank either. If they really are breeding, it would be remarkable.
I'm pretty sure of that as well but I am curious if this video of them represents mating or dominance/fighting?

FriarThomasIII

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Seems like a dominance kind of thing to me. But I've never seen them fight before either, though. All the ones we kept were very peaceful towards the others and their species. Maybe due to the size of the tank?

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
FriarThomasIII said:
Seems like a dominance kind of thing to me. But I've never seen them fight before either, though. All the ones we kept were very peaceful towards the others and their species. Maybe due to the size of the tank?
This is the only thing they do ( have you watched the video? ) The tank is a 10 gallon ( QT tank ) and in a few weeks, will be moved to the 72 gallon. Right now these are about 2 inches big ( juveniles )

FriarThomasIII

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Yeah, I watched the video until the end, and they were swirling around each other and chasing. I just can't see them mating in an environment like that. Doesn't make sense. I wonder if anyone has had an experience like this before?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
2 years
It's hard to tell from the video, but are you sure those are SAE? I don't see the black line going into the caudal fin.

I was also thinking more dominance/hierachy behavior.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
They
TexasDomer said:
It's hard to tell from the video, but are you sure those are SAE? I don't see the black line going into the caudal fin.

I was also thinking more dominance/hierachy behavior.
could be flying foxes, right? I didn't think of that.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
2 years
They could be a myriad of species - there are half a dozen or so that are often mislabeled as SAE.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nope, I got them from a breeder - not flying foxes. They are the Crossocheilus siamensis

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
2 years
How did you get them from a breeder? Is he actively breeding them in his home aquaria?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
2 years
They most likely got them from breeding farms that use hormones, or they're wild caught. I doubt they breed themselves, especially without the use of hormones.

Does yours have the black stripe through its caudal? I just can't see them from the video.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
TexasDomer said:
They most likely got them from breeding farms that use hormones, or they're wild caught. I doubt they breed themselves, especially without the use of hormones.

Does yours have the black stripe through its caudal? I just can't see them from the video.
Yes it does and only one set of very small barbels.

20180412_210424.jpg

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
They're definitely saimensis.

I thought it was a dominance thing at first but the shimmying next to each other towards the end of the video definitely seems more like a mating ritual than dominance. Then again, it could be they're fighting for the algae wafer.

I have 4 in a 75 gallon (2"), 3 in a 40 gallon (2") and 2 in a 20 gallon (1") and never saw that type of behavior. There is a bit of nipping for dominance but it only lasts a few seconds at most. The 2 in the 20 gallon was for them to grow out a bit as they were less than 1" but one hasn't grown much despite big bellies after feeding.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
DarkOne said:
They're definitely saimensis.

I thought it was a dominance thing at first but the shimmying next to each other towards the end of the video definitely seems more like a mating ritual than dominance. Then again, it could be they're fighting for the algae wafer.

I have 4 in a 75 gallon (2"), 3 in a 40 gallon (2") and 2 in a 20 gallon (1") and never saw that type of behavior. There is a bit of nipping for dominance but it only lasts a few seconds at most. The 2 in the 20 gallon was for them to grow out a bit as they were less than 1" but one hasn't grown much despite big bellies after feeding.
Thanks - they were doing this BEFORE I dropped the food in. At first I thought they were fighting and so I put food in and they scattered away and then started over again.
I've seen this at least a few times in the last few days but they stop when I come up to the tank.
I know they are Siamensis because I clipped off part of a plant in my 72 gallon that has the black beard algae and they were going after it.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
When they fight, they're much quicker than that from my limited experiences. 1 in my 40 gallon can get territorial even in a well planted tank. It's not often and it only last a second or so at most. Most of the time, they're shoaling together and eating algae.

When mine were in QT (3 at a time), I cut amazon sword leaves with BBA and planted in the QT. It was clean by the next morning or evening. The tanks they're in now have no BBA or any other algae. I throw in algae wafers but they seem to love hornwort needles and get fat on it. They'll also go after frozen and freeze dried brine shrimp and blood worms. Pretty much anything in the tank.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
No fighting here that I have seen ( at least not the fighting I have seen with other fish ) that's why I was curious if the behavior they were exhibiting in the video was mating.

I've been feeding mine algae wafers ( plus they have the bba plant ) shrimp pellets, blood worms, brine shrimp. I've only had them for about 12 days but I think I am going to put them in the main tank very soon. I normally qt for 6 weeks but these guys seem very healthy and would probably benefit from being in a much larger tank. Plus I think my baby loach is getting tired of them eating up all of the food!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
2 years
They're sure cute fellas! You may see less of this behavior in the main tank too. Though how cool would it be if they mated and had fry!

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
TexasDomer said:
They're sure cute fellas! You may see less of this behavior in the main tank too. Though how cool would it be if they mated and had fry!
Thank you - That would be awesome - I hear they are very difficult to breed! I only have 4 at the moment but it would be nice to get 4 more........ When they are sleeping ( I assume its sleeping because its a few hours after the lights go out ) they are almost piled on top of each other and not moving - almost like dominoes! very funny

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine lay on top of rocks or horizontal anubias leaves when sleeping.

I have a bunch of EBA babies in my 75 gallon and during feeding time, they all come to the top. My SAEs in that tank also join the babies and greet me at the top for food.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
DarkOne said:
Mine lay on top of rocks or horizontal anubias leaves when sleeping.

I have a bunch of EBA babies in my 75 gallon and during feeding time, they all come to the top. My SAEs in that tank also join the babies and greet me at the top for food.

That's awesome! They are quite the character! I've never seen them literally lying a 1/4 inch apart from each other but on top of each other! It's so weird, like they are in some secret pecking order club or something.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
These SAE's are such hard workers! I threw in a cutting from my main tank that was covered in BBA. Its been 2 days and its almost clean! I can't wait to put them in my main tank and see the magic happen! NOT to mention they are extremely cute ( but shy ) fish!
Even my baby dojo loach is eating the stuff!

Sorry about the bad quality of video - as soon as I get close they can see me and then they stop whatever they are doing!

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
They do a great job on BBA. I have none in any of the tanks they're in now.

Unfortunately, my little runt in my 20 gallon didn't make it. I didn't see him this morning which was odd. This evening, I saw him under a rock cave on his side, barely hanging on. A few hours later, he's gone . The other 2 I got with him easily doubled in size and he just never grew, even with a full belly. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. Just about 2 months.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
DarkOne said:
They do a great job on BBA. I have none in any of the tanks they're in now.

Unfortunately, my little runt in my 20 gallon didn't make it. I didn't see him this morning which was odd. This evening, I saw him under a rock cave on his side, barely hanging on. A few hours later, he's gone . The other 2 I got with him easily doubled in size and he just never grew, even with a full belly. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. Just about 2 months.
Oh no! Sorry to hear that!

I have a loach like that ( he's been with me for 4 years so far ) and he has not grown even the slightest since I've had him! He's as small as a kuhlI loach and I wonder why he's so small given that he eats like the rest of them!!!!

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
Just started
They’re definitely great hair-algae eaters. My tank used to be covered in it, and now it’s been long taken care of. This was many months ago. I didn’t even need to change the lighting duration, mess with fertilizers, or anything like that. Us being the best algae cleaner or preventer isn’t always true.

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
scarface said:
They’re definitely great hair-algae eaters. My tank used to be covered in it, and now it’s been long taken care of. This was many months ago. I didn’t even need to change the lighting duration, mess with fertilizers, or anything like that. Us being the best algae cleaner or preventer isn’t always true.
Boy you are not kidding. I've only had these guys for 14 days and can't wait until they are done with qt. I agree about the algae. Ive had this tank running for four years. All 3 of my tanks have similar lighting, same exact water source and only this one tank gets the bba and I have kept the phosphates in control, photo period, etc and nothing changes. My only guess is that they came in on some plants I got online and just took off from there. My platys peck at the bba but no difference. I don't have any other types of algae so who knows??????

D. Winchester

Reactions
Experience
5 years
Did you ever figure out what they were doing? I have 3 SAE in my 91g Discus tank, and they've been doing the same thing ..

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
D. Winchester said:
Did you ever figure out what they were doing? I have 3 SAE in my 91g Discus tank, and they've been doing the same thing ..
I think they were/are mating. I noticed out of the 4 I have, one is extremely "plump" - hoping we have some fry but probably very unlikely.
They are ferocious black beard algae eaters and my tank is almost completely cleaned up - now they seem to be going after the Java moss because what I had before, is now less than 1/2 now!
They are very hard workers

D. Winchester

Reactions
Experience
5 years
Fascinating. I'm not sure if this is from that behavior, but I have one that has a small wound that seems to be improving with Pimafix. I tried to catch him to move him to the hospital tank... but he's too fast.... Lol. Thank you for your response... let us know if you have babies

OP
Junne

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are pretty quick - good luck
I'm hoping for babies but I hear its very unlikely in a home aquarium. Then again, they said the same thing about a batch of zebra danios that were born in my tank a few years back

New Threads