Siamese Algae Eaters - Do They Eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Siamese Algae eaters - do they eat java moss?

I bought 4 SAE's in April of this year. They have done an excellent job of clearing the BBA off of the fake plants but I have noticed that my java moss is disappearing! I've always had more of an overgrowth of the moss but since these guys have been in my tank, the moss is thinning out!

Any one else experience this problem or have noticed the same thing?

BTW - these guys are hard workers! They have doubled in size since I got them

UglyAsian

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It might have been melting. Do you dose frts? How much? What brand?

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They don't eat java moss. They clean the algae off of it. They will sometimes accidentally eat some plants though. But they only do that when not fed enough. They are GREAT brown algae eaters!

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It might have been melting. Do you dose frts? How much? What brand?
Nope never used ferts and the stuff grows out of control most of the time. I have to pull out handfuls of it every 2 -3 months! Its only been thinning out since the SAE's arrived in this tank.

They don't eat java moss. They clean the algae off of it. They will sometimes accidentally eat some plants though. But they only do that when not fed enough. They are GREAT brown algae eaters!
That's probably it - they are hard workers and probably just nibbled a bit too much and got the moss.
I still have some BBA and diatoms but they are suplemented with fresh veggies/algae wafers, etc so food is abundant.

Thanks for the replies

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nope never used ferts and the stuff grows out of control most of the time. I have to pull out handfuls of it every 2 -3 months! Its only been thinning out since the SAE's arrived in this tank.

That's probably it - they are hard workers and probably just nibbled a bit too much and got the moss.
I still have some BBA and diatoms but they are suplemented with fresh veggies/algae wafers, etc so food is abundant.

Thanks for the replies
Glad to help old friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 33 64.7%