Siamese Algae Eaters Changing Colour And Chasing

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Miles Green, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Miles Green

Miles GreenValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hello everyone,

I haven't posted here in a while, so i thought I'd try to make up for that tonight, as this evening i noticed some commotion in my tank: 2 of my 3 SAEs (yes i'm certain they are SAEs) were chasing each other. The other one was sitting watching. Upon closer inspection, i saw that the two chasing ones had lost their black stripe almost completely while this was going on. Then they stopped chasing and it litterally took less than 30 seconds for them to get their stripe back! We could see them change color like chameleons, on and off as they chased and stopped, as if they were flashing or displaying their "other" color to each other. They did this a few times. Something similar seems to be described in this old thread.

Personally i think it's 2 males fighting over breeding rights with the lady. What do you think?

The tank temperature has been moving around a bit this week as I just plugged the heaters back in last week, after a nice warm summer here in Greece. Then i did a big WC and cleaned the filter floss...

And since I'm posting tonight, here is my tank, 10 months old. It's a 430 litre high-tech planted community tank with 10 congo tetras, 25 cardinals/neons, 8 harlequin rasboras, 7 cherry barbs, 6 ottos, 6 bronze corys, 5 rams (2 blue, 3 long-fin), 3 SAE, 2 panda cories, 1 betta. And many plants. And snails. The foreground is mostly monte-carlo. My congo tetras have become huuuge, they are so beautiful, and they are very active yet peaceful. I recently added 15 cardinals to my school of 10. The new "big" school is much more active and lively than before. Cardinals love big schools!

Here is a picture:
    full?d=1540415904.

The tank is pretty established now, the plants are keeping nitrates under 20ppm. I still do 40% water changes (RO water) every 2 weeks, mostly to keep phosphates under check. If i do weekly WCs, i need to supplement with nitrates, so i don't really see the point. I have close to 20 cm of plant soil in the back of the tank so i should be pretty close to not having to do WCs at all! ;-) Ehhhm, nope, it's not going to happen, i like my water crystal clear! :) Algae issues seem to be a thing of the past: i think the "Tropica Premium Nutrition" plant fertilizer i switched to made the difference here. I do quite a lot of plant trimming and re-arranging.

Some fish have spawned, the cories several times. One of the bronze cories is offspring, often swimming around with his mom! I must say all my family really enjoys this community tank, it is beautiful and has taught us all so much about fish, and plants, but also nature in general and how delicate the balance really is in an ecosystem.

So to keep all this running, I have an Eheim classic 600, a 4000 litre/hour circulator with low circulation when lights are off, about 100 watts of LED lights (6500 lumen about), plus a line of red LEDs, and mood lighting with remote (mostly DIY). I should probably add more lights to get the plants to pearl really well. 60cm is rather deep for a carpeting plant. Two 200W heaters keep things warm. I have 2 small ones, hoping that if ever one fails and stays on, it won't be powerful enough to make fish soup out of everything. A substrate heater supposedly helps with plants roots. The CO2 is diffused inline and has a 3kg tank, a good regulator and solenoid valve on a timer. Eheim UV light also runs a few hours per day. 4 reliable timers keep the daily schedule. A large air pump is installed for use in an emergency. I plan to install an electronic pH/CO2 monitor and controller. I install a food dispenser when I'm gone.

Many thanks to all the community here on Fishlore, which has been so helpful since i started this wonderful hobby!

Kind regards,

Miles

2. smee82

smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,868
    Experience:
    2 years
    Tank looks great.

Ive never notice my SAEs loosing there black line but if its happening while they are chasing each other it might be a way of showing submission to the dominate fish.

3. Nikki2577

Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +932
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    That is a beautiful tank:)

I have noticed mine do this same thing. I have heard/read it can be stress or they are trying to blend in to their environment, I am not sure about this theory. I think if their stripe comes back soon after I don’t think it’s a problem:)

4. OP
    OP
    Miles Green

Miles GreenValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thanks for your replies. I don't think it's submission, as both of the "fighting" SAEs made their stripe go white.. Actually the first one to start turning black again was more submissive. It's not related to their environment either, it clearly an interaction thing between the 2 fish. Within a couple minutes, the stripes were completely black again, until they started chasing. I guess they change color when they want to assert their dominance? I'm not worried for them, they seem just fine. But i was wondering if others have witnessed this.