Siamese algae eater

Janice1979

Will a Siamese algae eater eat small fish? I’d like to get one as well as some lamb chop rasbora (trigonostigma espei). I’m guessing that the rasbora will be pretty tiny when I get them; also, they will only get about 1.5” max. Will they be ok with the the algae eater?

StarGirl

I got mine when they were about a inch long. They are about 3 inches now. They live with Ember tetras and dont seem to bother them, but the bigger one chases the smaller one all the time.

Janice1979

I’m planning to just have one.

StarGirl

I have heard some may get aggressive but mine seem ok so far, but like everything else depends on the fish!

Heron

I have had them in the past ( assuming you are talking about the flying fox ,which is what are sold as Siamese algae eaters here, I am aware there are other similar species that go by the same name ). They are good algae eaters but be warned if you don't have a good lid you may come down in the morning to find them dead on the carpet. I thought a water level 6 inches below the rim would keep them in but it didn't.
In answer to your question I never had an issues of them eating other fish and I had some Molly fry in the tank which grew up ok.

blennylover2323

my siamese algae eaters are completely peaceful. they don't bother any other fish in the tank. I have two if them (5 years old and 2 months old) and they spend all their time together. I wouldn't worry about them eating any other fish in your tank

Janice1979

I am talking true Siamese algae eaters (crosocheilus siamensis), not the flying fox that is often mistaken for them.

Heron

Janice1979 said:
I am talking true Siamese algae eaters (crosocheilus siamensis), not the flying fox that is often mistaken for them.
Sorry they are not what I had so you should ignore what I said.

Dennis57

Yes you will be fine. I have 1-SAE and 2-flying fox ( yes they are almost identical but yet different ) I have them in with neons, guppys and other smaller fish for years and no problems.

jmaldo

As mentioned, be careful when buying, too often LFSs label incorrectly. I have kept SAEs with many different small fish including rasbora. In fact they have shared tanks with my breeding pairs of Bolivians and EBA, and they have never eaten the fry.
They do help with the algae when young, but... as they get older they do eat less of it. I would keep at least a pair if not a trio. They enjoy playing tag. Just remember they are like torpedoes with jet packs. Zoom Zoom.

SAE staring contest.jpg

Good Luck!

oodelally

I have both Lambchop Rasboras and a SAE together and they are just fine.

Latest threads

Top Bottom