Siamese algae eater

Hobbyist

Can I keep a siamese algae eater in a 10gallon? Is it that much aggressive? Does it eat/kill shrimp?does it eat small pest shrimp?

Best Answer - View jkkgron2's answer

jkkgron2

Hobbyist said:
Can I keep a siamese algae eater in a 10gallon? Is it that much aggressive? Does it eat/kill shrimp?does it eat small pest shrimp?
It needs a much larger tank than 10 gallons. Otos look a bit similar, and are much more peaceful and smaller. Have you considered them?

FinalFins

Hobbyist said:
Siamese algae eaters get to 5" and will definitely take shrimp if it gets a chance. So no.

Hobbyist

jkkgron2 said:
It needs a much larger tank than 10 gallons. Otos look a bit similar, and are much more peaceful and smaller. Have you considered them?
I thought about them seriously but the only thing made me think about something else that its very sensitive,I don’t know if that’s right but if I wrong I think I should think again about them

FinalFins said:
Siamese algae eaters get to 5" and will definitely take shrimp if it gets a chance. So no.
Thanks for your time

jkkgron2

Hobbyist said:
I thought about them seriously but the only thing made me think about something else that its very sensitive,I don’t know if that’s right but if I wrong I think I should think again about them
They are pretty sensitive at the beginning, once they get used to the tank they tend to do better. What is your purpose for getting another fish? Looks? Algae? Just want to?

Hobbyist

jkkgron2 said:
They are pretty sensitive at the beginning, once they get used to the tank they tend to do better. What is your purpose for getting another fish? Looks? Algae? Just want to?
I have a lot of algae on a driftwood and the glass, I am ok with the algae on the wood but these ones on the glass looks awful, also I have some pest snail which are probably pond snails and I want to get red them, I think an assassin snail should take care of them (I posted about that in another post though )

Al
Hobbyist said:
I have a lot of algae on a driftwood and the glass, I am ok with the algae on the wood but these ones on the glass looks awful, also I have some pest snail which are probably pond snails and I want to get red them, I think an assassin snail should take care of them (I posted about that in another post though )
Also do you know how long is their lifespan or how to breed them? and how to choose one and take care of them in the beginning as you said they’re sensitive when you put them in the tank at first

jkkgron2

Hobbyist said:
Also do you know how long is their lifespan or how to breed them? and how to choose one and take care of them in the beginning as you said they’re sensitive when you put them in the tank at first
I’m not sure about lifespan, I think around 3-5 years. Breeding is very difficult in captivity and usually happens on accident so I can’t really say. When you get them try to get ones that have slightly rounded bellies and are moving around a bit (they may stay still if they’re eating algae). Make sure to have algae available for them until you can get them to eat algae wafers or veggies. At the start I would get 6 and put in a algae wafer OR a piece of cucumber or zucchini each day after removing the one from the previous day, eventually they’ll see it as food.

Hobbyist

jkkgron2 said:
I’m not sure about lifespan, I think around 3-5 years. Breeding is very difficult in captivity and usually happens on accident so I can’t really say. When you get them try to get ones that have slightly rounded bellies and are moving around a bit (they may stay still if they’re eating algae). Make sure to have algae available for them until you can get them to eat algae wafers or veggies. At the start I would get 6 and put in a algae wafer OR a piece of cucumber or zucchini each day after removing the one from the previous day, eventually they’ll see it as food.
How about the bio load, I have 4 platys and 5 shrimps(not one kind) in a 35 liter (9.2/10 gallon)

jkkgron2

Hobbyist said:
How about the bio load, I have 4 platys and 5 shrimps(not one kind) in a 35 liter (9.2/10 gallon)
Very small bioload. I think 6 should be a good amount, maybe 5 if your a bit worried about overstocking. Oh, and try to get them eating algae wafers or veggies By leaving one of the two in the tank every day since they do eat algae very fast and may run out. I’m not trying to worry you, it’s just that it would be easier for you and them if they do run out of algae and can eat the wafers or veggies instead for the time being.

Hobbyist

jkkgron2 said:
Very small bioload. I think 6 should be a good amount, maybe 5 if your a bit worried about overstocking. Oh, and try to get them eating algae wafers or veggies By leaving one of the two in the tank every day since they do eat algae very fast and may run out. I’m not trying to worry you, it’s just that it would be easier for you and them if they do run out of algae and can eat the wafers or veggies instead for the time being.
Thank you so much for your time and information, I should give them a try, they have a nice look though, about being sensitive, I do a weekly 30-50% water change and the tank is 2 months old ( probably cycled, I left it for a month with some fish food and a dead Amano Shrimp and some water changes) do I need to do anything special?

jkkgron2

Hobbyist said:
Thank you so much for your time and information, I should give them a try, they have a nice look though, about being sensitive, I do a weekly 30-50% water change and the tank is 2 months old ( probably cycled, I left it for a month with some fish food and a dead Amano Shrimp and some water changes) do I need to do anything special?
I think as long as you follow my feeding instructions and pick out well fed ones your good The only possible issue is the tank is only 2 months old, I think it’s well enough established you can try but if you don’t have success just wait 1-2 more months and try again.

Hobbyist

jkkgron2 said:
I think as long as you follow my feeding instructions and pick out well fed ones your good The only possible issue is the tank is only 2 months old, I think it’s well enough established you can try but if you don’t have success just wait 1-2 more months and try again.
Ok, I think waiting 1-2 months is more safe than failing, they do well with shrimp right?

jkkgron2

Hobbyist said:
Ok, I think waiting 1-2 months is more safe than failing, they do well with shrimp right?
Yup! They’re great shrimp tank mates

FinalFins

Heyo, I would only get 1-2 otos. 6 in a tank that small will easily eat everything in a day and they will starve themselves. Its hard to get them to eat prepared foods. They don't take algae wafers often.

jkkgron2

FinalFins said:
Heyo, I would only get 1-2 otos. 6 in a tank that small will easily eat everything in a day and they will starve themselves. Its hard to get them to eat prepared foods. They don't take algae wafers often.
If the OP would only get 1-2 I wouldn’t get Otos at all. They would get stressed by the lack of numbers. Maybe a nerite snail would work better for the OP’s tank?

Hobbyist

FinalFins said:
Thanks for advice

FinalFins

jkkgron2 said:
If the OP would only get 1-2 I wouldn’t get Otos at all. They would get stressed by the lack of numbers. Maybe a nerite snail would work better for the OP’s tank?
I kept single otos before and I haven't noticed any stress related problems

But I do agree nerites are better at algae control/

Hobbyist

jkkgron2 said:
I thought of nerite before but it has very short lifespan and hard to breed so I thought I should concentrate more about pest pond snails

jkkgron2

FinalFins said:
I kept single otos before and I haven't noticed any stress related problems

But I do agree nerites are better at algae control/
It must depend on the tank setting then, could be in heavily stocked tanks they feel more Comfortable in numbers? I’m not saying a single one is bad, just not ideal IMO but I know some people have had it work

jake37

My otto will eat thin slices of zuc. Just cut it raw into a thin slice - add a plant weight so it sinks and leave it in there for 24 to 48 hours.

Latest threads

Top Bottom