Siamese Algae Eater

Marijn Lange

I've just bough five Siamese algae eaters, I hope. I had to go to three different shops to find them as all the other once were selling flying foxes nor selling them at all. The store owner told me how he disliked flying foxes and assured me these are Siamese algae eaters.

I did my research on these fish but I'm no expert. I'd like some conformation from other people that these are indeed Siamese algae eaters. The pictures aren't the sharpest as they're quick fish.

XiQS8uT.jpg

iZZGtXw.jpg

prvTXX3.jpg

VCkIKiy.jpg

WTFish?

Looks like that to me!

sinned4g63

They look like it to me! I have 2 in my 10 gallon and I love them, they are so cool to watch snack around the tank and I find them very cute when they decide to make a bed on something. If you look at some of the videos I have on my YouTube you could probably see them for better reference.

Junne

Looks like it to me as well. I have to say, they are very hard workers if you have BBA! My 4 cleaned almost every single bit of it up in 3 months! Now they are going after the java moss and other plants

Attachments

• 20180412_210424.jpg
    20180412_210424.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 101

Marijn Lange

Thanks to everyone! Doing my research and not trusting the first two shops whom told me they had siamese algae eaters worked out

Nikki2577

Looks like you got the real deal. The true SAEs I have were marked flying fox. lol

86 ssinit

Welcome to fishlore!! Ok looking at the fish in the bag it looks like the one in front (the biggest) may be a Chinese algae eater. Looks like a suction cup mouth. May be the picture? do they have suction cup mouths like plecos or ottos?

Nikki2577

Wow I didn't even notice that! The color looks different on the bigger one also!

Dave125g

That's what you got. You will not be disapointed.

The first 2 shots are of my SAEs the last is 1 of my flying foxes. For reference.
20181107_152819.jpg
0726171521-1.jpg
1541807498005.jpg

platy21

I just picked up some SAE's from my favorite LFS which is closing down. Hoping they go to town on my BBA.

goldface

Yep, they’re juveniles too. I can tell.

BusterBot28

Not to intrude but could you guys and gals tell me the difference between the two? Sorry to interrupt the post.

Nikki2577

Dave125g posted pictures to show the difference in the two fish above.

Dave125g

The first 2 shots are of my SAEs the last is 1 of my flying foxes. For reference.
20181107_152819.jpg
0726171521-1.jpg
1541807498005.jpg
Not to intrude but could you guys and gals tell me the difference between the two? Sorry to interrupt the post.
The most obvious is the fox is more colorful. The fins on the fox have black in them where the SAEs are clear.

As far as behavior the fox is far more active and more aggressive, particularly with it's own kind. The SAE is much more calm and peaceful.

BusterBot28

IMG_1481.JPG
IMG_1482.JPG
I bought this as a Siamese flying fox but the guy said that this one was a SAE. Which is it?

Nikki2577

That's an SAE

DarkOne

Petco and Petsmart usually sell SAEs as "Siamese Flying Fox" but they're clearly SAEs. Flying fox has black on all their fins and a gold stripe above the black stripe along its body. SAEs have 2 small barbels and does not have a sucker mouth.

Dave125g

Common names are tough because 1 common name can refer to many different species, and by the same token 1 specific species can have multiple common names.

Trinsfish also labels there SAEs as " True siamese algae eater flying fox" . Lol I had a long discussion with them about the difference in the 2. Did no good they still call them that.

sinned4g63

Oh I found an old pic of mine! This was the day I brought them home, sorry it's a little dark.
20180210_144845.jpg

Dave125g

Oh I found an old pic of mine! This was the day I brought them home, sorry it's a little dark.
20180210_144845.jpg
Clearly SAE. lol clearly, because the fins are clear no black markings.

Marijn Lange

I
Welcome to fishlore!! Ok looking at the fish in the bag it looks like the one in front (the biggest) may be a Chinese algae eater. Looks like a suction cup mouth. May be the picture? do they have suction cup mouths like plecos or ottos?
ll check when I get home from work.

86 ssinit

It’s funny how names change. Years ago the Chinese algae eaters were referred to as Siamese algae eaters and SAE were flying foxes. The one you wanted for your community tank was allways the flying fox and they were hard to find and some pet stores would try to sell SAE as flying foxes. I think that’s where the name changed. Thou I’m not sure where this new flying fox came from. But new fish are allways entering the hobby.
But today’s sae are great bba eaters but you have to train them to eat it. If your feeding your fish twice a day they will eat the fish food and not the algae.

Dave125g

It’s funny how names change. Years ago the Chinese algae eaters were referred to as Siamese algae eaters and SAE were flying foxes. The one you wanted for your community tank was allways the flying fox and they were hard to find and some pet stores would try to sell SAE as flying foxes. I think that’s where the name changed. Thou I’m not sure where this new flying fox came from. But new fish are allways entering the hobby.
But today’s sae are great bba eaters but you have to train them to eat it. If your feeding your fish twice a day they will eat the fish food and not the algae.
Agree. I feed zucchinI every other day, and my SAEs would rather eat that then algae.

86 ssinit

Everybody writes about zucchini. I put it in my tanks with ottos,plecos and sae and it just rots lol. Even the cherry shrimp won’t eat it. Maybe there’s something wrong with the zucchinI around here.

jmaldo

Agree, "SAE". Beautiful Fish, I have kept them since I started.(<2 years). Mine help keep the BBA and Hair Algae under-control. And they absolutely devour Zucchini, Brussels Sprouts, Algae wafers. It is a shame some LFS are either not educated or knowingly try to pass off the Flying fox or Chinese Algae eaters as SAE.
By the way "Welcome to Fishlore".
Just sharing some pics.

Lounging - Copy.jpg

SAE.jpg
If you want to see more pics of SAE's Dave125g Lchi87 and others have posted check out this thread.
Sae Taking A Break !

Best of Luck to you.

Dave125g

Everybody writes about zucchini. I put it in my tanks with ottos,plecos and sae and it just rots lol. Even the cherry shrimp won’t eat it. Maybe there’s something wrong with the zucchinI around here.
Every veggie eating fish has a favorite , zucchinI is just 1 that all my fish can agree on lol. Have you tried other veggies?

Marijn Lange

Feed mine daily.

DarkOne

It can take a few tries before the fish know it's food. I have a couple of baby L333 and it took almost 4 weeks (twice a week) before they started rasping on zucchini. They are mostly carnivores but they rely on driftwood when they're young. I put pieces of zucchinI in all my tanks with plecos, otos and shrimp.

Marijn Lange

Yesterday I added five Siamese algae eaters and I don't know if my German Blue Rams like it. The Siamese algae eaters constantly swim at the bottom of my aquarium and are very energetic. The haven't start eating algae yet, they pick stuff from the gravel. I noticed my Blue rams hiding a lot more then they used to do, they don't leave the bottom for what I've seen, normally they would swim in the middle aswel. Normally when I feed my fish the German rams rush to the surface to get food but they didn't eat at all, the stayed at the bottom.

Was it a bad choice to combine German Blue Rams and Siamese algae eaters or is this just because they have to get used to each other? I thought Siamese algae eaters were middle swimmers.

Dave125g

Yesterday I added five Siamese algae eaters and I don't know if my German Blue Rams like it. The Siamese algae eaters constantly swim at the bottom of my aquarium and are very energetic. The haven't start eating algae yet, they pick stuff from the gravel. I noticed my Blue rams hiding a lot more then they used to do, they don't leave the bottom for what I've seen, normally they would swim in the middle aswel. Normally when I feed my fish the German rams rush to the surface to get food but they didn't eat at all, the stayed at the bottom.

Was it a bad choice to combine German Blue Rams and Siamese algae eaters or is this just because they have to get used to each other? I thought Siamese algae eaters were middle swimmers.
They just need time. SAEs are far more peaceful then rams. SAEs will relax on the bottom when there not scavenging the plants for algae.

Marijn Lange

The German Blue Rams started attacking everything that comes near to them?! I’ve even see them attack eachother! What should I do? Let it go on for a day and if needed get rid of the sae?

Dave125g

My SAEs have learned not to bother the rams. Just give them time. If you start seeing some injuries then yes you may have to intervene. Nipped fins may happen, they heal , but they'll learn fast .

Marijn Lange

My SAEs have learned not to bother the rams. Just give them time. If you start seeing some injuries then yes you may have to intervene. Nipped fins may happen, they heal , but they'll learn fast .
Thanks! I’ll keep an eye on the fish and hope for the best. I’ll keep you updated

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Spinich
Replies
Views
goldface
Replies
Views
Janice1979
Replies
Views