Siamese algae eater

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by reds, Jul 23, 2015.

1. r

reds Valued Member Member

My friend gave me one of his siamese algae eaters and I'm wondering if they need drift wood to graze on? I should mention he's very small only 2 weeks old. My friend breeds all types of fish.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Got a pic? They dont graze on driftwood, but they do a very good job cleaning up and eating algae. Try to get at least two more, they're a little skittish if alone.

3. OP
    OP
    r

I plan on getting more, I got the last one of the latest fry. I just added him to my tank so he's hiding can't get a pic till later.

4. OP
    OP
    r

R they usually skittish when put in a new aquarium? This is my first one. I plan on getting more at the lfs if they have them.

5. Dom90

They're not supposed to be, but that could be because you only have one right now. When I got my first one, it was skittish also and was hiding everywhere.. I got the other 5 and now they're all over the place lol.

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

How big is the tank, I think I remember you had a hex?

7. Dom90

He had a 25 gallon tank which turned out to actually only be 18 gallons, if I remember correctly... which would make this tank too small for a SAE, they grow up to 6".

8. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That's what I was thinking, it's too small for one let alone getting more

9. OP
    OP
    r

The new lfs that I went to they have the exact same tank as mine, selling as a 20 gallon. My friend that breeds the fish to sell to pet stores, told me 20 gallons is plenty for 1.

10. Dom90

Well he's wrong, the minimum tank size for a 6" fish should be 55 gallons, or anything with at least a 48" footprint.

11. OP
    OP
    r

I'm new to the fish hobby, and I'm getting confused. 1 person says it's fine another says it's not. The dimensions of the tank is 20 inches height by 10 inches long.

Each of the 6 sides is 10 inches long.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
  12. Dom90

It's not just about turning space, its also about lateral swimming space. Any experienced fishkeeper on these forums will tell you that 20 gallons is far too little for a 6" fish.

13. OP
    OP
    r

Can you please tell me what fish are able to live in this tank? I will make arrangements to take the fish back. I just need some guidance, like I mentioned this is my second aquarium in my life, the first one was when I was a kid.

14. Dom90

There are plenty of small fish that grow up to 2" in your tank size. Tetras, guppies, platies, corydoras. If you need a cleaner-type fish, in a 20 gallon, its better to go with an Otocinclus or BN pleco than a SAE.

They are very sensitive to water conditions so you need a well-established tank though.

15. OP
    OP
    r

OK thanks very much. I will bring the sae back to the lfs.

16. OP
    OP
    r

What about a clown pleco? The lfs will take the sae my friend gave me and swap it for a clown pleco. The lfs doesn't have bushynose plecos.

17. Dom90

Yes that should work, but keep in mind that clown plecos are quite shy and you will rarely see it out and about until nighttime.

18. G

Geoffrey Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure if I read this right, but did you say the dimension of your tank is 10L x 10W x 20H? If so, then you tank is a little under 10 gallons and that won't be big enough for even a clown pleco.

19. Dom90

I think he has a hexagonal tank? Or was that someone else?

20. G

Geoffrey Well Known Member Member

Oh, right. You said above that it's hex that's about 18 gallons. Even so, with it only being 10 by 10 at its max, I still think that's too small. In general, it's best to have a large base than a tall tank. I think a clown pleco would be okay in a standard 20 or better yet a 20 long, but not the hex.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice