Siamese Algae Eater??

pprocyg

Hey Everybody, third time writing this post hopefully I won't lose it again! It has been a while since I have been active on fishlore due to changing jobs and giving up my ipad. I have missed reading about everyone's adventures. Anyway I picked up an SAE or what I believe is a SAE and was curious of your opinion. I have a BBA issue in my tank and it is my hope that he will start eating some of the longer tufts. So far I haven't seen him eat any of the big clumps of BBA but he is a young guy. It isn't the best photo but his stripe runs through the tail and his fins are clear. The biggest thing causing me to question if he is a SAE is the strip, it looks a little too smooth. It isn't a great photo but here is a shot of him

WP_20130115_002.jpg

Even if he isn't a true SAE I still think he is a cool fish. Now that I work out of the house I get to watch my tank a whole lot more and he has been making me laugh. I know they prefer to be in groups, but my 29 just cannot handle any more fish, but this guy has decided that he is an pristella tetra. whenever he isn't cleaning something I see him trying to school with my 5 pristellas. They get a little feisty with him but he keeps coming back for more. He doesn't get too close to any of them but follows them around the tank like he is one of the gang. I never read about SAEs trying to school with other fish, probably means I should pick up a few more but I will have to wait until I lose some of my other fish. (which I am glad to say doesn't happen very often) But for an algae eating 1 2 punch, I am very happy with my zebra nerite and this guy.

Thanks

ZeeZ

Well Known
It's a little hard to tell because the photo is blurry but it does look like a Flying Fox. If that's the case, then it will become aggressive when it's older and eat the natural slime that protects fish off them.

OP
P

pprocyg

Thanks. I will try to get a better pic tomorrow. he was labeled Siamese Flying Fox but the manager (Who I trust for most questions) says that it is a SAE. In the pic the color surrounding the strip is way more distinct than to the naked eye. I cannot perceive any color variation when I look at him in the tank but the pic really makes it look like it is two colors.

beginner

I saw a video, maybe on youtube that shows the difference between true and false sae's.

ZeeZ

Well Known
There are two kinds that mimic the true Siamensis Algae Eater: The Flying Fox and the Chinese Algae Eater.

The top part of a SAE should also be gold and the stripe have zigzag jags. Here's my own SAE that I got from Harpua2002. Old photo. -

EDIT: A pic I took just now. It's hard to tell but he is gold on the top half and off white or cream white on his belly. You can see his stripe is jagged.

OP
P

pprocyg

Here is a pic I got this morning.

WP_20130116_007.jpg You can not see that the stripe goes into the tail on this shot but it does nonetheless.
I also got to check out the barbels and it looks like he only has 1 pair. I think I got an SAE,

Thanks for the help!

ZeeZ

Well Known
Yup, you do indeed have a SAE! It was hard to tell with the first pic.

Enjoy him! Mine took care of my Black Beard Algae problem within days and I haven't had it back ever since. They're great fish.

OP
P

pprocyg

Thanks ZeeZ. Hopefully he develops a taste for bba. Although I do think my stem plants look like they are not growing any new bba so maybe he is eating it when its not as developed
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
SFGiantsGuy
Replies
Views
jake37
Replies
Views
Drewbacca
Replies
Views
Champanier

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

A wise old fella once said it's ok to lose the receipt on the way home from the store... especially on those more expensive aquarium items! ;)

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom