Siamese Algae Eater - Weird Behavior

GoFishNTanks

Hey guys, just wanted your opinion. So before leaving for work this morning, I noticed my algae eater twisting/twirling in the water, he did it a couple times. He was doing it next to a rock so I don't know if he was itching... or what. But I fed my fish maybe 10 mins before he started doing this... I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Is this normal or should I be worried?

sinned4g63

Like doing barrel rolls?

Flashing or rubbing on decor usually indicates the fish is trying to scratch an itch or remove a hitch hiker. Take a close look and make sure the fish isn't showing signs of ich (white spots) or velvet. Velvet will show up if you shine a bright light on the fish (try not to blind them!) as a golden powdery looking coating. You may be seeing some early signs of something beginning to infect the fish.

GoFishNTanks

sinned4g63 said:
Like doing barrel rolls?

Flashing or rubbing on decor usually indicates the fish is trying to scratch an itch or remove a hitch hiker. Take a close look and make sure the fish isn't showing signs of ich (white spots) or velvet. Velvet will show up if you shine a bright light on the fish (try not to blind them!) as a golden powdery looking coating. You may be seeing some early signs of something beginning to infect the fish.
Yes barrel rolls, hes always eating next to the decor so I wasn't 100% sure if he was itching or eating. But I will try and take a closer look at him this evening to make sure he isn't getting sick! Thank you!

sinned4g63

GoFishNTanks said:
Yes barrel rolls, hes always eating next to the decor so I wasn't 100% sure if he was itching or eating. But I will try and take a closer look at him this evening to make sure he isn't getting sick! Thank you!
Mine sometimes rotate around or inside of what they are nibbling on but not quite a barrel roll. I've had guppies do barrel rolls but they were in poor health and did not pull through. It seemed more like a loss of balance as opposed to something intentional though as they were usually swimming for food or towards the surface.

Top Bottom