Siamese Algae Eater vs Siamese Flying Fox

Drewbacca

I’ve had a black beard algae problem in my 55 gallon tank lately. I have an amano shrimp in there, but it’s a community tank and he doesn’t come out enough to really make a dent in it. I’ve read that SAE are pretty good at clearing it, and I’ve had them before and enjoyed them. So, I went to my LFS today to get one but couldn’t find any. I asked a guy working there and he pointed me to a tank with them labeled as Siamese Flying Fox. Alarm bells went off in my head because I know the Flying Fox is frequently mistaken for an SAE and is known to have aggression issues... something my tank with smaller Endlers and tetras probably wouldn’t like. I also don’t know how good the FF is with black beard algae. The guy told me that this was a SIAMESE Flying Fox, which was the same as the SAE but the black stripe doesn’t go as far onto the tail. I smiled and decided not to argue since while he may be wrong on this issue, he still probably knows a lot more than me. I checked, and sure enough, it did not look like the stripe extended all the way through the tail.

Should I avoid the SFF and hold out for a SAE?

StarGirl

Yes I just got 2 in my 55 gallon and they decimated my BBA. They are known to be big BBA eaters. The fox is a green algae eater.

jinjerJOSH22

Drewbacca said:
I’ve had a black beard algae problem in my 55 gallon tank lately. I have an amano shrimp in there, but it’s a community tank and he doesn’t come out enough to really make a dent in it. I’ve read that SAE are pretty good at clearing it, and I’ve had them before and enjoyed them. So, I went to my LFS today to get one but couldn’t find any. I asked a guy working there and he pointed me to a tank with them labeled as Siamese Flying Fox. Alarm bells went off in my head because I know the Flying Fox is frequently mistaken for an SAE and is known to have aggression issues... something my tank with smaller Endlers and tetras probably wouldn’t like. I also don’t know how good the FF is with black beard algae. The guy told me that this was a SIAMESE Flying Fox, which was the same as the SAE but the black stripe doesn’t go as far onto the tail. I smiled and decided not to argue since while he may be wrong on this issue, he still probably knows a lot more than me. I checked, and sure enough, it did not look like the stripe extended all the way through the tail.

Should I avoid the SFF and hold out for a SAE?
I'm pretty sure they're the same thing, Siamese Flying Fox is just another common name for the SAE (Crossocheilus Siamensis) and not the True Flying Fox (Epalzeorhyncho Kalopterus).

jinjerJOSH22

What to Know Before Purchasing a Siamese Algae Eater
A helpful page I hope

Drewbacca

jinjerJOSH22 said:
I'm pretty sure they're the same thing, Siamese Flying Fox is just another common name for the SAE (Crossocheilus Siamensis) and not the True Flying Fox (Epalzeorhyncho Kalopterus).
I’m pretty sure this is not correct.The fish in the tank had a black stripe that ended at the tail, which is more like the FF, where SAE have it extend through the tail. It’s one of the main ways of distinguishing them. I’ve also purchased SAEs from this store in the past and they labeled them as SAE not SFF. It would make it a lot easier if the store would put the scientific name on the tank as well.

jinjerJOSH22

Both SAE and FF have a stripe through the tail, however SAE are usually more faint. Garra Taeniata don't have a stripe.

jinjerJOSH22

Here’s mine sold as a Siamese Flying Fox

875C8989-422A-4535-80E6-AEB9F41ECBFD.jpeg

FF will have a black bar in the dorsal as well as a Thicker bar in the tail.

Drewbacca

So, I called back to the LFS today and spoke to the manager. I asked if they had any SAE in stock, and he said, "No, just the Flying Foxes." I told him I'd been in recently and saw "Siamese Flying Foxes" and asked if those were the same as SAE. He said, "No." I'm not sure why they've started labeling their Flying Foxes as Siamese Flying Foxes, as that seems misleading. However, I've heard enough bad things about Flying Foxes that I don't think I want to deal with their aggression. I also don't think they'd eat my black beard algae. I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer for one. I'm glad it's cleared up now.

jinjerJOSH22

Drewbacca said:
So, I called back to the LFS today and spoke to the manager. I asked if they had any SAE in stock, and he said, "No, just the Flying Foxes." I told him I'd been in recently and saw "Siamese Flying Foxes" and asked if those were the same as SAE. He said, "No." I'm not sure why they've started labeling their Flying Foxes as Siamese Flying Foxes, as that seems misleading. However, I've heard enough bad things about Flying Foxes that I don't think I want to deal with their aggression. I also don't think they'd eat my black beard algae. I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer for one. I'm glad it's cleared up now.
A picture would definitely help.
It's silly if they are mislabelling as SFFs which should be the same as SAEs. Too confusing

Drewbacca

I don't have any pics from the LFS. Perhaps they were False SAE (Garra). All I know is they looked like SAE but the black stripe didn't extent into the tail. I didn't see any black in the dorsal or pectoral fins though, making a FF less likely. I also couldn't tell if their fins were clear or yellow. It was tough to tell. They were in the back of a heavily planted tank. I've gotten SAE from that LFS before, and they were always labeled as SAE correctly. I don't know why they started labeling things as SFFs, and I'm a little concerned that the one employee tried to tell me that an SFF was the same as a SAE but the only difference was that the stripe was shorter.

jinjerJOSH22

Drewbacca said:
I don't have any pics from the LFS. Perhaps they were False SAE (Garra). All I know is they looked like SAE but the black stripe didn't extent into the tail. I didn't see any black in the dorsal or pectoral fins though, making a FF less likely. I also couldn't tell if their fins were clear or yellow. It was tough to tell. They were in the back of a heavily planted tank. I've gotten SAE from that LFS before, and they were always labeled as SAE correctly. I don't know why they started labeling things as SFFs, and I'm a little concerned that the one employee tried to tell me that an SFF was the same as a SAE but the only difference was that the stripe was shorter.
It sounds like they've mislabelled Garra.
Is ordering them online a possibility for you?

Drewbacca

jinjerJOSH22 said:
It sounds like they've mislabelled Garra.
Is ordering them online a possibility for you?
I'm fine ordering them online, but I'd want to know I had a reputable dealer to ship them. I'd hate to get one in the mail to find out it was a False SAE or a FF. I also want to get as small of one as possible. They eat algae a lot better when they are younger, and I always like to start out with juvenile fish instead of older ones.

jinjerJOSH22

Drewbacca said:
I'm fine ordering them online, but I'd want to know I had a reputable dealer to ship them. I'd hate to get one in the mail to find out it was a False SAE or a FF. I also want to get as small of one as possible. They eat algae a lot better when they are younger, and I always like to start out with juvenile fish instead of older ones.
That would suck! Ime when i've ordered online they come quite small, websites usually give a rough size that they sell, of course shipping is a big off put if you're only getting a couple of fish.
Same, growing a fish is more satisfying than getting the finished product

Drewbacca

jinjerJOSH22 said:
That would suck! Ime when i've ordered online they come quite small, websites usually give a rough size that they sell, of course shipping is a big off put if you're only getting a couple of fish.
Same, growing a fish is more satisfying than getting the finished product
Right, I'm only really looking for a single fish... so I'm not sure how shipping would go. Most shippers have a minimum number of fish they'll send.

jinjerJOSH22

Drewbacca said:
Right, I'm only really looking for a single fish... so I'm not sure how shipping would go. Most shippers have a minimum number of fish they'll send.
Alternatively you could ask your LFS to order some in. It shouldn't be an issue if they usually have them and since they're a fairly common fish they wouldn't have issues selling them or housing them.

Drewbacca

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Alternatively you could ask your LFS to order some in. It shouldn't be an issue if they usually have them and since they're a fairly common fish they wouldn't have issues selling them or housing them.
I asked about that. He said that they haven't been getting any from their suppliers lately. I've had the same issue trying to find more Panda Cory. They just haven't gotten any in awhile.

Latest threads

Top Bottom