Siamese Algae Eater Sudden Death

Jmccartney

Something happened about a month ago and it’s been bugging me ever since. Maybe someone here has an idea what happened:

I had a Siamese algae eater for about a month in my 50 gal community tank before it died suddenly. He had no outward appearances of being ill. Was still eating, swimming normally etc. Then I came home from work one afternoon and he was swimming erratically all over the tank. I netted him, put him in a small container with tank water and he died within a few minutes. I immediately did a water test with my API master test kit. Temp 78f, pH 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10. I then did a water change (even though parameters were excellent) and closely watched the rest of my fish for any signs of sickness. They all have been normal and healthy since this incident. I’m perplexed! Any ideas?

Filter: Fluval 406 canister
Substrate: pool filter sand
Decor is assorted live plants, driftwood, rocks.
Stocking at the time: 4 female platys and their many many fry, 7 sterbaI corydoras, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 mystery snail, 2 Amano shrimp

P. S. I have since rehomed the platys and added 7 praecox rainbows and 2 baby bristlenose plecos.

Rtessy

Hi, I'm no expert, but my best guess would be that there was some kind of brain injury suffered. Whether it was from ramming into the side of the tank, or maybe a decoration, or even a brain tumor or aneurysm. That would be my guess, as any one of those would likely cause no outward symptoms until it was too late. I'm sorry for your loss

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
holty2503
Replies
Views
michaelsf90
Replies
Views