Siamese Algae Eater or Flying Fox?

ARTPOP

Hey guys, I went to my LFS today and got one of this fish, it's listed as Flying Fox but I'm certain it's a Siamese Algae Eater?

Also if its a SAE, they're recommended to have 15 gallons on their own or be in a group of 5 right?

Also which one has the chance to be aggressive when grown?

thanks, I named him Butler.

IMG_5371.jpg
IMG_5372.jpg

(idk why these pictures turned landscape, blurry because it's only from an iPhone.)

hampalong

SAE. They need to be in a group really.

CLam

+1 to that. Flying foxes are just a bit more aggressive that SAEs, which are happy community fish given enough space. Lucky for you, you got a SAE.

APColorado

The picture above looks like an SAE, and you will need a much larger tank then a 15 gallon. They can grow up to 6 inches and likes to zoom throughout the tank.

I currently have 6 in my 105 gallon tank at 6 inches. Great fish.

ARTPOP

Oh I have a 22 gallon, I was asking about if each one needs 15 gallon space on their own because they have a tendency to become territorial. Also at what size do they stop eating algae? And which algae do and don't they eat?

APColorado

Oh I have a 22 gallon, I was asking about if each one needs 15 gallon space on their own because they have a tendency to become territorial. Also at what size do they stop eating algae? And which algae do and don't they eat?

Mine are at 6 inches and they are still eating algae and flakes in my tank. Mine primarily eat BBA and I don't think they eat GSA.

I think a 22 gallon is small for a SAE.

Here is a great article:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may08/siamese-algae-eater-id.htm

Linwood

I have 2 in a 45G tank and 6 in a 220G tank, and I think 22 is awfully small for them. They are very active, very fast, will suddenly be 4' away from where they were. Would they live - maybe, but that's very small for two or even one. Mine are big and fat and intimidating looking, but they do not bother other fish and keep the tank very clean.

By the way -- if they don't have room or get stressed they can jump, big time -- I was drip acclimating some in about 2" of water with about 8" of air above in the bucket and three of six jumped out into the floor in about 15 minutes (fatally so). They don't seem to jump in a nice deep tank, but especially in a small one I'd be careful with tops.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
goldface
Replies
Views
Drewbacca
Replies
Views
Janice1979
Replies
Views