siamese algae eater not eating

muelleh

Several weeks ago I noticed that one of my siamese algae eaters had a wound on the side of his head behind his eye. It looked like he might have scratched himself on a piece of slate (cave in the tank made of broken pieces of slate). So I treated the entire tank with Melafix for a week and he healed up nicely. However, around that time and since then, he has not eaten that I have seen, which is unusual behavior for him. I have not seen him eat anything for at least a week, and he is hanging out, kind of hidden, in a big java fern most of the day. I have had him at least 7+ years; he has been in the 55 gal since May 2011. All the water parameters are good and I change 20% of the water Sat., Tues. and Thurs. with Prime.

Last summer I lost an angelfish I'd had as long as the algae eaters and the pattern was the same: he quit eating and became less active and nothing I tried worked. He looked perfectly normal (as does the algae eater)...he just quit eating.

Any idea what this might be and how I can help this poor guy? All the rest of the fish are eating and behaving normally.

Thank you.

I keep fish

It could be just old age, Otherwise make sure to check for any other injuries and try feeding him right in front of the java fern.

muelleh

Thank you...

Ziabis

I have a question about SAE. I just got 2 SAE 2 days ago. All of my Beard algae is GONE. Now I am afraid that they will get hungry. Should I toss in some vegetables or pellets? Or do I really need to worry?

muelleh

Mine eat what the rest of the fish eat: frozen bloodworms (thawed), flakes, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, and even nibble on cucumber.

The one, however, is stlll not eating. I noticed that his whiskers are gone so I fear a bacterial infection. Am trying to get a QT tank up and running for him but have weird ammonia readings.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
Andres391
Replies
Views
EpikTurtle
Replies
Views