Siamese algae eater might have ich?

Stirling

I just introduced a Siamese Algae eater into my 15 g tall tank 2 days ago and I noticed he wasn’t very active the first day and had locked fins. I thought maybe he was just really easily stressed from the move, even though I acclimated him more slowly than I normally do.

(I usually have a quarantine tank going but it had an accident a while ago and my new one isn’t fully set up or cycled which is why I didn’t put him there before introducing)

Early yesterday I see he has like... not white bumps, but they look more like silver specks on his fins and some on his body. I’ve had my aquariums for almost 2 years now and have never had an experience with ich - could this be it?

I removed him from the tank and have him in a Tupperware that I’m doing tiny water changes by adding a little bit of the thank water about every 5 hours.

I think I got him out of the main tank within 48 hrs of putting him in there; none of the other fish show any symptoms, and so I’m wondering 2 things -

1- do I really need to treat the whole tank now? I already started raising the temperature in case because you have to do it so slowly.

2 -is there a way I can just treat this pleco solo in the Tupperware?

It’s a planted tank with snails (pond, assassin and mystery), tetras (3 pristella, 1 blood fin and 3 glow light), 2 juliI Corys and around 5 dwarf shrimp ( 2 blue velvet and a few of some kind of green and yellow).

jinjerJOSH22

A picture would help here.
It's usually best to treat the whole tank if it's Ich just because it's highly contagious and I believe can reside in the substrate. Make sure any medication is shrimp and Catfish safe.

On another note SAEs will outgrow a 15 gallon.

Stirling

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

Stirling

I ordered ich-x ? I have melafix too but I don’t know why I don’t really like it? Opinions anyone?

Top Bottom