Siamese Algae Eater Loves Eating Guppy Fry?

guppylord

Hi, I have 50 gallon high tech fish tank at my parents house. I go there once a month and spend a day trimming and setting everything automatic. I have a colony of cherry shrimp, two pairs of mixed guppies and 4 algae eaters about 2 inches long.

As a long time guppy breeder I know that females guppies are definitely fertile and I always see them with shadow of eggs and fry but I never caught them giving birth due to my circumstances. From my past experience, 4 guppies in heavily planted 48 inch tank had hard time hunting down all fries even when they had most cannibalistic strain. Guppies tend to give up after certain distance chasing them, especially when guppy fry hides well, and definitely do not ambush hunt them, ever.

My canister intakes are all warped up for my cherry shrimp, I think the only culprit is Siamese algae eater. [they are not chinese algae eater, flying fox, garra fish, or anything that resembles true SAE], because I see they really like hunting down bite size cherry shrimp while grazing and going through my foreground plants.

I was wondering if any of you witnessed SAE chasing and swallowing guppy fries, and can confirm that they can show active hunting behavior like angelfish and discus do, when it comes to newborn livebearers. Thanks!

BiggerIsBetta

I've never seen it but I know know SAE, along with many other fishes, will actively hunt fry if their food supply is not to their standard. If they're really well fed they're less likely to do looking for fry

guppylord

confirmed: SAE does not eat newborn guppies. Culprits were parents apparently

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
Janice1979
Replies
Views
oodelally