Question Siamese algae eater in pond.

MrFishkeeper1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have always had the idea of a pond, and some time in the future I may get a pond. I was wondering if I could keep siamese algae eaters in a pond with goldfish. I live in Minnesota so I will be taking the fish inside during the winter no matter what, I know the goldfish can survive but I dont want to put too much stress on the fish. So if I wait until the pond is at about high 50's or will I have to wait until the temp gets to the high 60's to add the siamese algae eaters?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well what I can say is they need temps in the upper 70s. Also when the goldfish get bigger they may eat the SAE.

MrFishkeeper1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok but how much do they eat, enough to keep it in control? Will it help if I add plants I was looking into lizard tail and parrot feather?

Do you know if it a single common pleco would make more waste than 4-5 weather loaches? I want some "clean up crew". Also do you think a single common pleco would be fine with goldfish. I'm looking for a pond between 500 to 1500 gallons, of that helps.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Too many unknown variables for me to say, but if you're only thinking to get algae-eaters for algae control, you're getting them for the wrong reason. Buy them cause you really like them. Algae control and cleanup should be secondary to that. An outdoor pond is an entirely different, albeit related, beast. I honestly can't be of much help there.

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Algae isn't a problem in my pond. Add enough plants and It balances out very quickly. A couple snails would work great for a clean up crew, and goldfish will nibble algae all day! To be honest I can count on one hand the amount of times I fed my pond fish this summer.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For a pond a uv sterilizer is a must. Especially in the beginning of the season before the plants start growing. Once the plants are grow you turn off the uv.

MrFishkeeper1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Could I do a few bristlenose plecos as I read they could survive in high 50's to low 60's for a while. I know they poop a lot but they would help clean plants, help with algae, and clean the bottom of the pond. I also think it would be cool to have them in there as I do like them. Any ideas?

Edit: Not a while but for a shortish period.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
MrFishkeeper1 said:
Could I do a few bristlenose plecos as I read they could survive in high 50's to low 60's for a while. I know they poop a lot but they would help clean plants, help with algae, and clean the bottom of the pond. I also think it would be cool to have them in there as I do like them. Any ideas?

Edit: Not a while but for a shortish period.
BN plecos are tropical and IMO high 50's to low 60's is absurd.

MrFishkeeper1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok I guess I will just stick with only goldfish. Hopefully I will find something.

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
tbh you don't need algae eaters. Goldfish are notorious for making salads of anything that photosynthesizes. Weather loaches would certainly work since they enjoy the same temperatures as goldfish and will eat anything that falls to the bottom.

MrFishkeeper1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think I am going to just skip a "algae control fish" as everyone says goldfish are great at eating algae. I was also just reading about gold barbs I read that they could live with goldfish just fine as they are less nippy and some people have even had the barbs "school" with the goldfish. However what I could not find was if they could survive in upper 50's to low 60's for a few days before I could take them out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom