Siamese algae eater identificaiton

spinsheet

I just bought was I was told was a true Siamese Algae Eater but after getting it home I'm not so sure. Can anyone tell me if I got the true SAE or is it a false or a flying fox?

IMG_20160227_140958.jpg

aniroc

I just bought was I was told was a true Siamese Algae Eater but after getting it home I'm not so sure. Can anyone tell me if I got the true SAE or is it a false or a flying fox?

IMG_20160227_140958.jpg

Looks like a Flying fox because the black stripe does not fade into the caudal, there is a lighter line above the black one and the edge of the black line is sharp.
I purchased 9 SAE few years ago. One turned out to be Flying fox; a very aggressive one. It killed most of my SAE, it grew big and fat. If only I can catch it...but it is in a 180g densely planted; no fish is coming out of that tank alive.

hampalong

On a Flying Fox the black stripe is arched, slightly raised in the middle, and extends into the tail fin. The pale stripe above it is gold in colour, a different shade to the pale below the stripe. And the fins are not colourless. This is an SAE.

octavio

I can't identify what it is, but I can identify what it is not. It is not a Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus siamensis), which is rarely found in most pet and tropical fish stores. And it's not the Red-algae eater Crossocheilus langei) the species that is widely sold as the Siamese algae eater. By the way, if you really want Siamese Algae Eaters for grazing in your tank, the Red-algae eater is just as good at nibbling down red, green and even some blue algae as its cousin Crossocheilus siamensis.They are so close they they easily cross breed.

As for the little guy that you have, well . . . good luck. I tend to trust the previous posters' opinions about what he really is.

hampalong

octavio is right. My bad, I defaulted to SAE just because it isn't a Flying Fox. It's a Garra.

spinsheet

I at first thought it was a flying fox because the stripe did not go all the way to the end of the caudal fin but I'm new to the SAE / flying fox thing. I'm really hoping hampalong is right on this one! I did ask the LFS associate if he was a true SAE and was told he was. This was a mom and pop LFS that has been around since the 70's, I would certainly hope they would not intentionally steer a customer wrong.
@, my understanding is that the black stripe should go all the way to the end of the caudal fin if it was an SAE. Is that not true? I'm getting so many differing opinions and am having difficulty matching this one up with the s I'm finding.

Thanks all for your help with this!

OK, looks like I was mislead by the LFS. Very disappointed about that. Does the Garra species eat the hair algae that the SAE is famous for? That's really the only reason I picked the two up.

octavio

LOL! This is enjoyable if the little guy is a species of garra. See:

There are some manicure/pedicure salons in my area that are famous for using tanks of them. Customers soak their feet in the tanks as the garras nibble off all of the dead skin in and around your toes! I find that hysterical!

So, if he is a species of garra I'm sure he'll be good at grazing on hair algae.

Looks as though you've stumbled upon a keeper. Good luck

hampalong

LOL! This is enjoyable if the little guy is a species of garra. See:

There are some manicure/pedicure salons in my area that are famous for using tanks of them. Customers soak their feet in the tanks as the garras nibble off all of the dead skin in and around your toes! I find that hysterical!

So, if he is a species of garra I'm sure he'll be good at grazing on hair algae.

Looks as though you've stumbled upon a keeper. Good luck

Garra rufa is the species that is dealt a long slow death of starvation by not being fed, by pedicurists (not feeding them makes them 'better at their job', and the pedicure suppliers that promote the fish tend to know and pass on next to nothing about their care). The sooner that deplorable fad dies out the better for the fish.

Garras in general are not the best algae eaters. I doubt it will eat hair algae but I could be wrong.

spinsheet

I finally found some true SAEs from 'That Fish Place'. I drove up there (two hour drive) and picked up two of the little guys and they seem to be settling in nicely. Hopefully they will start snacking on the hair algae and along with my new light regiment maybe I can start winning the BBA war.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Janice1979
Replies
Views
Spinich
Replies
Views
goldface
Replies
Views