Siamese Algae Eater advice needed

Pfrozen

Hi guys. I ordered a SAE two weeks ago but it never came in... my name is still technically on the order list and they still have my deposit so it might come in this friday. The only thing is, my tank doesn't have much algae now (if any) because I tore it down and restarted it with a blackwater setup. My question is, can I stock one proactively just in case my BBA problem comes back and have it eat pellets/flakes/brine shrimp/wafers/ whatever else it wants that isn't necessarily algae? I read online that they'll be fine under those conditions but I'd like to be sure.

thanks

StarGirl

Yeah they eat EVERYTHING don't worry. Mine eat the BBA and the food. They are pigs. You are fine.

Pfrozen

StarGirl said:
Yeah they eat EVERYTHING don't worry. Mine eat the BBA and the food. They are pigs. You are fine.
Awesome, thanks! I figured as much but wanted approval lol

Mhamilton0911

So mine have eaten all staghorn algae I had, and also munch like oinkers on fresh veggies I put in for the plecos, eat the shrimp pellets for the cories and eat the flakes from everyone else. They really are piggies, lol.

Pfrozen

nice. I'll just keep my name on that list then even if they still don't have any available this week. There's a lot more open space in my new tank and I wouldn't mind have a BBA failsafe lol. I heard they aren't great centerpiece fish but they get pretty big right? any reason why they aren't good centerpiece fish? I have a 20 so I can only safely stock one (though I also have a 40B that will be running by the time it gets too big)

jake37

They will eat anything meaty you put in the tank but you should feed it plant based foods. I'd recommend zuc and algae wafers with an occasional shrimp pellet. It is bad for the fish if the bulk of the diet is meat based.
-
Also is this a large tank? You are aware they do grow to 6 inches and are a bit more bulky than an adult yoyo.
-
A 20 long might be ok but it would worry me. A 40 is a little better. It isn't just the size of the these fishes but they do like a good swim and decent current.

Pfrozen said:
Hi guys. I ordered a SAE two weeks ago but it never came in... my name is still technically on the order list and they still have my deposit so it might come in this friday. The only thing is, my tank doesn't have much algae now (if any) because I tore it down and restarted it with a blackwater setup. My question is, can I stock one proactively just in case my BBA problem comes back and have it eat pellets/flakes/brine shrimp/wafers/ whatever else it wants that isn't necessarily algae? I read online that they'll be fine under those conditions but I'd like to be sure.

thanks

Pfrozen

jake37 said:
They will eat anything meaty you put in the tank but you should feed it plant based foods. I'd recommend zuc and algae wafers with an occasional shrimp pellet. It is bad for the fish if the bulk of the diet is meat based.
-
Also is this a large tank? You are aware they do grow to 6 inches and are a bit more bulky than an adult yoyo.
-
A 20 long might be ok but it would worry me. A 40 is a little better. It isn't just the size of the these fishes but they do like a good swim and decent current.
Ah sounds good, I actually always have a piece of either zucc or cucumber in there. I used to feed veggies twice a week but now its always veggie time lol. The 40B is sitting right underneath my 20 so it won't be a burden to set it up if need be in the future... I will be getting all my tanks set up over the next couple weeks anyways. I will definitely keep an eye on it though and will also be worried at first. I was totally expecting you to say that lol

edit: its a 20 high, not a 20 long.. my filtration is 300 gallons per hour on HOBs with a bubble wall on a 40g pump so the current will be perfect at the very least. so yea, ill probably just plan to put it in the 40 from the get go

jake37

Chances are pretty good the fish you receive will be small (1 ish inch); and it will take a while to grow out.

Pfrozen said:
Ah sounds good, I actually always have a piece of either zucc or cucumber in there. I used to feed veggies twice a week but now its always veggie time lol. The 40B is sitting right underneath my 20 so it won't be a burden to set it up if need be in the future... I will be getting all my tanks set up over the next couple weeks anyways. I will definitely keep an eye on it though and will also be worried at first. I was totally expecting you to say that lol

edit: its a 20 high, not a 20 long.. my filtration is 300 gallons per hour on HOBs with a bubble wall on a 40g pump so the current will be perfect at the very least. so yea, ill probably just plan to put it in the 40 from the get go

Latest threads

Top Bottom