Shy species?!?

Siett88

I recently introduced a keyhole from quarantine to my 55 a week or so ago. He hid for about 30 mins, but ever since hes at the front of the tank, picking through substrate, or at feeding, even up to the top of the tank. In quarantine, he hid for a few days, until he recognized 'food guy' and meets me at the glass ever since. Length is maybe an inch (quite young) and tank mates are a full grown angelfish, 4 inch long pearl gouramI and corydoras. Do they deveope shyness, or did I get a very out going one?

DoubleDutch

They need some company if their own species.

myriad1973

Keyhole cichlids are a social fish and shoal when they’re juveniles. They can be shy and timid. A group of 4-6 would work out nicely in your tank and perhaps some schooling dither fish (like 2 inch tetras) not too small for the angelfish to eat.

Siett88

In my area keyholes are hard to find (at least in my experience), and this was the only I've ever seen (that's why I got him). My plan was to get a school of praecox rainbows. As I said he isn't shy and doesn't hide and isn't afraid to share food with my angel. Is it crucial to have more if he isn't stressed? I'll post a pic when the tank lights come on.

Siett88

Here he is hanging with the angel
and watching me at the top of the tank

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom