Shy shrimp

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Joel2036, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Joel2036

Joel2036 Valued Member Member

Hey how was everyones christmas ?
    Just wondering if anybody out there that has experience with RCS and if they hide more when they share a tank with fish
    My tank is 20g and got a few plants a large piece of driftwood and a terracotta pot with moss on it
    I added 10 neon tetras and ever since then they have been hiding alot more !
    I was just wondering if I relocated the neons would the shrimp come out more ? I currently have about 30 in there but it only seems like I have about 10 :(
    Would I be best off removing the neons and having a shrimp only tank ?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Shrimp are a prey animal so understandably get shy when something that may eat them is introduced. If it has only been a couple days I would give them more time to become comfortable.

I don't think an adult rcs has much to fear from a neon tetra, they will however eat up shrimplets.

My Christmas was great! Thanks for asking. :)

3. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thanks matt !
    I got too impatient and cleared out one of my betta tank 8g and put the shrimp in there with new black sand and lots of Anubis and mosses :) I like it a lot more now ! It was the proper shrimp sand because it was way to expensive for me !
    But it looks good once the water clears upnillmpost a photo :)
    They are already a lot more adventurous !
    As I was clearing the tank out scooping up the shrimp I was down to the last terracotta pot with Anubias and java moss and I only caught about 10 so far then I lifted the pot up and the whole rhizome of the Anubias was covered in them !! Must have been their hiding place :)

4. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

5. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Thats great! They look very comfortable now. :;th Personally, I love the black substrate, really makes their colors show up, good choice.

6. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thank you :) they look so much happier now !!

7. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Looks like you have a berried one in the 2nd photo :) I love the tank also!!!

8. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

I sure do monkey :) I think I might actually have 2 berried but it might just be me counting the same one twice ! :) so exciting can't wait to see little shrimp running around !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice