Shy shrimp

1. Joel2036

Joel2036 Valued Member Member

Hey how was everyones christmas ?
    Just wondering if anybody out there that has experience with RCS and if they hide more when they share a tank with fish
    My tank is 20g and got a few plants a large piece of driftwood and a terracotta pot with moss on it
    I added 10 neon tetras and ever since then they have been hiding alot more !
    I was just wondering if I relocated the neons would the shrimp come out more ? I currently have about 30 in there but it only seems like I have about 10 :(
    Would I be best off removing the neons and having a shrimp only tank ?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Shrimp are a prey animal so understandably get shy when something that may eat them is introduced. If it has only been a couple days I would give them more time to become comfortable.

I don't think an adult rcs has much to fear from a neon tetra, they will however eat up shrimplets.

My Christmas was great! Thanks for asking. :)

3. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thanks matt !
    I got too impatient and cleared out one of my betta tank 8g and put the shrimp in there with new black sand and lots of Anubis and mosses :) I like it a lot more now ! It was the proper shrimp sand because it was way to expensive for me !
    But it looks good once the water clears upnillmpost a photo :)
    They are already a lot more adventurous !
    As I was clearing the tank out scooping up the shrimp I was down to the last terracotta pot with Anubias and java moss and I only caught about 10 so far then I lifted the pot up and the whole rhizome of the Anubias was covered in them !! Must have been their hiding place :)

4. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356913898.946469.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356913969.392154.jpg

5. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Thats great! They look very comfortable now. :;th Personally, I love the black substrate, really makes their colors show up, good choice.

6. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thank you :) they look so much happier now !!

7. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Looks like you have a berried one in the 2nd photo :) I love the tank also!!!

8. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

I sure do monkey :) I think I might actually have 2 berried but it might just be me counting the same one twice ! :) so exciting can't wait to see little shrimp running around !