Shy fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by scarlett4410, Nov 29, 2012.

1. scarlett4410

scarlett4410 Valued Member Member

As im sure many of you know i used to have 4 dwarf puffers wich were always at the front of the tank swimming around. After my 2 died a few weeks back my remaining 2 are increadibly shy , they generally stay at the back of the tank but after a few weeks in the 5 gallon quarantine they were getting slightly friendlier anyway i moved them to their new 12 gallon yesterday , i never see them now and cant draw them out of the back , is this normal? Are they still adjusting?My 3 ottos are very friendly if not more freiendly in there new home ( all perimeters perfect btw).
    Also im not sure if because theres less puffers there less confident , there also very shy around other people and i can only half draw them out if its me at the tank ( maybe they recognize me )
    With 2 puffers and 3 ottos im fully stocked so cant get anymore!
    Oh also if its of any importance i have a very dominant male and a subservient half the size female who follow each other everywhere apart from the odd chasing here and there they get on really greatand since the other 2 died they go everywhere together.
    Also they are eating just not as much as usual.Sorry for the essay

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Some fish just take time to get used to their environment. Maybe some more plants would make them comfortable? I'd suggest ditherfish but you don't want to.overstock.

3. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

Do you know what the other two died? Where they all 4 together? The reason I am asking is because they may be sick and not just being shy...

4. OP
    OP
    scarlett4410

scarlett4410 Valued Member Member

Sorry yeah - i had a weird spike of nitrites and ammonia in my fully established tank ( it WAS cycled before you say it wasn't ) and my 4 fish were Ok , they were in a completely empty quarantine for 20 minutes , i came back up and the 1 just dissapeared ... he was no where to be seen it had a lid as well but one of my puffers looked really fat but the other 2 were as normal , a few hours later the fat one died. Not sure if they ate each other or what!
    I think the nitrites killed them and they ate each other or the body's dissapeared? So in conclusion it was just nitrites that killed them :(
    Strangely the 2 smallest and weakest fish survived and the 2 strong fish died.
    My male was 12 weeks when i got him and i have had him for 7 weeks so hes 21 weeks old ish / 5 months.My baby who i got from a different shop was so small you could barely see him and i was told he was under 5 weeks old and i have had him for 3 weeks so maybe... 8 weeks/2 months. And there both very healthy .. appearance wise i mean.

I spent 30 minutes sitting on my bed and finally my dwarf puffers came out and swam around at the front of the tank. There still really shy :(

5. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

I think it's normal for fish to be shy in a new home... when I first got a pleco I didn't see her for 2 weeks, lol. I had to keep hunting for her to make sure she was even still alive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice