Shy Clown Loaches Question

Discussion in 'Clown Loach' started by spencergarl1, Apr 12, 2018.

1. s

spencergarl1 New Member Member

Every time I get close to my tank all of my clown loaches run to the corner of my tank.

Is it something I’m doing wrong or is that just the temperament of clown loaches in general? IMG_9438.jpg

2. Seth15

Seth15 Valued Member Member

Clown loaches tend to be a nervous and shy fish, they prefer to be in groups as I can see in the photo.

If you already had them for a few days try dimming the tank lights and add extra cover and hideouts. Just give them time to adjust. As long as your water parameters are where they should be, don't panic.

3. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

They will normally retire to their main retreat as you approach the aquarium. But having this safe zone plus dither fish can help encourage them out.

That is normal and logical behaviour for many fish which are cautious at the looming shape of a potential predator, something big enough to swallow them.

To change this natural behaviour is not easy but mine have learnt that six o'clock is feeding time and they are less sensitive at this time. In fact they all sit at the front glass and demand food (see my pics in Clown Loach Photos). I still back off after feeding to watch them from a meter away.

You need to be patient but you can influence their behaviour if you are determined.

4. OP
    OP
    s

I had a couple clown loaches before and they were as active as could be no matter where I was at unfortunately they passed away from a bad case of ich, these are still roughly new fish (maybe a month) so I’m hoping they will come around.

Thanks for the input! And I look up to you as a clown loach owner

5. Redshark1

Was this contrasting behaviour in a different tank?

I blacked out the walls of the tank (except the front LOL!) and this helped.

Very young ones are very active and surf the glass quite a bit doing the Loachy Dance. Later they settle down.

6. OP
    OP
    s

I will try to black out the sides and see if that helps, over the past two days I’ve seen a major change out of nowhere and they don’t quite mind as much me being around

7. Redshark1

Yes their behaviour can change even without the owner doing something to cause it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice