Shy Black Neon Tetra

1. jamesonuk

jamesonuk Valued Member Member

I got six Black Neon Tetra last week and I noticed that one was tending to hide a lot (the others are all over the tank). I thought it might be because the school was not too big so did not worry as I was adding six more this week anyway.

This seemed to get worse and this fish is spending most of it's time hanging round the Amazon Sword roots and leaves and generally hiding. I therefore added another six yesterday to see if that would tempt him out.

Still hiding. I saw him come out to feed yesterday but he went straight back to hiding afterwards.

There doesn't look to be anything physically wrong (fins are all in-tact, still colourful and no obvious signs of disease). Given the other five from that batch (and six from second batch) all seem pretty happy should I just give him more time to adapt or is it likely there is something wrong and I should probably quarantine him (just the small matter of not actually having a quarantine tank yet....)

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Can you get a picture of him? Are you absolutely sure he's a black neon? I almost bought what I thought was a black neon to add to my school but I was informed that it was actually a young emperor tetra. Not sure if I believe the person who told me but it's possible that she was right.

3. FreshAquariums

FreshAquariums Valued Member Member

a picture would be great, but when you did u buy them/him? he could be just adapting still

4. OP
    OP
    jamesonuk

Apparently not.... He kept disappearing but then the battery in my phone died an camera needs charging....

Not sure I need the photo now though.... I have been watching him and he was always facing the same direction. Just caught a glimpse of him facing the other way and he appears to be missing an eye on the other side :(

It is hard to see as he is always relatively still facing the direction of flow so the bad eye is towards the back of the tank.

Is it likely to be attack (one black neon did seem to be bullying the others when they first went in) or could this be disease?
    Is it best to remove him or leave him in?

5. Aquaphobia

I would maybe take him out for observation at least. Does he look skinny?

6. OP
    OP
    jamesonuk

OK spent a long time checking. The one hiding is smaller than the others (but is definitely a Black Neon Tetra) but I found another one with no eye (this one seems to be fine and schooling with the others)

I was wondering whether this was a something where the eye had gone grey but it looks like there is just a hole where one of their eyes should be.

I did notice one of the tetras bullying the others when there were six in there. I am presuming if the eyes are missing then this is / was aggression rather than disease. It is likely that the tetra might have attacked each other?

Did a 30% PWC anyway and found where all the catfish pellets had hidden themselves (luckily no ammonia / nitrite) but Nitrates were at 40.

Will need to sort out a quarantine tank sooner rather than later. How long would a fish be OK with a heater and an air stone??

7. Aquaphobia

I don't know, but if you're not worried about disease then perhaps just some targeted feeding to be sure that the outcast is getting enough to eat and to heal will help. He may be having trouble competing for food.

8. OP
    OP
    jamesonuk

Yep I have seen him eating but as soon as he has eaten he heads back. I am guessing it is not disease as it looks like the eye is actually missing rather than ill. Should I be worried ??

I have changed the spray bar configuration during PWC and he actually seems to be hanging around the middle of tank like he owns it and it is him who is going for the other tetras...

I think I have an old floating breeding box I inherited. Might it be worth segregating him in there??

9. Aquaphobia

I really don't know! If he's the aggressor then perhaps he lost his eye in a fight. On the other hand it may be that he's extra defensive because he's lost an eye and can't see who's coming up on him and doesn't want to be surprised. Do you have a lot of plant cover in the tank?

Let's see, who else is good at these sorts of questions. TexasDomer, any ideas?

10. OP
    OP
    jamesonuk

Quite a bit of plant cover. Difficult trying to keep tabs on 12 tetra but I there are two that appear to have an eye missing. On is the smallest of the 12 (the one that has been hiding) and the other is about middling size but I think is the one being aggressive.

11. Aquaphobia

Interesting...