Shutting Off Filter to Feed Fish Flakes?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by UTGrad, Jun 29, 2016.

1. UTGrad

UTGradValued MemberMember

I shut off my filter today to give my Cory fish flakes. Otherwise flakes end up in my filter and make it nasty. As soon as they settle to the bottom and are mostly consumed I turn it back on.

Anybody else do this?

2. ChaseAce

ChaseAceValued MemberMember

I do that as well. I usually do it so my Odessa barbs don't have their food scattered too much, as well as providing a signal for food.

3. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

I never shut off my filters. My top/mid dwellers chase after the food that float. My corys get sinking food like pellets, wafers and bloodworms so it wouldn't matter. Are you providing your corys other types of food than just flakes?

4. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

I don't turn off my filter. My little pigs eat the flakes before it hits the water

5. peregrine

peregrineValued MemberMember

I do because food gets thrown to the bottom as soon as it enters the outflow.. But debating about stopping, because of something bad that almost happened today...

6. mg13

mg13Well Known MemberMember

I always turn my filter off before feeding the fish. Are you not supposed to turn it off?

7. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

I don't. The floating flakes never last long enough on the surface to get pushed down in the current, and I feed sinking pellets/algae wafers for the mid-to-low level dwellers.

8. peregrine

peregrineValued MemberMember

MG that is a there is no right nor wrong answer to the question. Both are correct. Doesn't matter if you turn it off or not. As long as you (ahem) remember to turn it back on

9. mg13

well see the thing is I always turn it off for the whole night, and get it back on in the morning.

10. el337

Why do you turn it off? That will affect the BB and cause a cycle bump when you repeatedly do that.

11. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

I agree turning it off for5 minutes is one thing but 8 hours is a bad thing

12. OP
    OP
    UTGrad

UTGradValued MemberMember

When I feed its off for only like 5 minutes.

13. mg13

yeah, I understand, I was looking into that, would it show on the tests that the ammonia goes up?

14. el337

If you've been shutting them off each night, I would definitely test your parameters - ammonia, nitrite, nitrates.

15. mg13

I have, that's what I'm saying, and they are all always perfect, that's why I was confused.

16. el337

I still wouldn't shut them off at night. Is it the noise from the filter output that's bothering you?

17. mg13

no, mainly the flow, I don't want the fish to have to wrestle it while sleeping. It's not too strong, but if you're trying to settle on the gravel to rest, it's sort of hard in moving water.

18. el337

If they're not being blown around by it, I think it's fine. And if the flow is too strong you could always baffle it using a sponge or half a water bottle or stick a prefilter sponge over the intake. Definitely better ways to deal with the flow than shutting off your filters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice