Shubunkin seems to have rounded belly and warts? Help 

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My husband has 3 shubunkin goldfish. We noticed yesterday that one was dragging an impressively long piece of poop behind it. I told him that he needed to fast the tank for a few days. Gave them blanched peas today, nothing yesterday.

One fish, in particular, was rounded in the belly, appeared to me to be swim bladder disease (possible), definite overeating issue. The belly appeared to me to be distended. These are two things that I've never experienced with my own fish. Hubby has a huge tendency to overfeed, which is why he's now on an auto feeder. I think it's finally set right, but for a long time, fish were overfed.

The same fish that appears to have a more rounded belly now appears to have warts on his side. It's possible he's always had this, but I don't look that closely at hubby's fish. I'm going to try to take some pics, but wanted to write this post first, in case this is a typical shubunkin thing and you guys can give advice prior to the pic.

Thanks for any helpful hints.

Tank is 26 gallon bow front, pH, 6.8, 0,0, 10 temp 75 (readings are always consistent). Any other questions, please ask. x

Is it carp pox? Obviously, I'm researching like mad here.....

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI Lynda, no reason to bump. I'm sure once other members who know more about gold fish ailments sign on today they'll see this right away.

Good luck, he (she?) sure is a beauty.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry, I'm in panic mode..... ops:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I understand. It's terrible to have a fish not looking right and not know what to do.
Just checked, Gremlin isn't on just yet she knows tons about goldfish.

If someone doesn't reply soon you might want to shoot her a pm.
Other members know about Goldies, just can't think of who at the moment.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
x

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is that a shubunkin or a calico fantail? Body shape and the triangular tail look more like a calico fantail than a shubunkin (which is longer bodied like the comets). How old is it (approx)? If it is a fantail, then the big belly is relatively normal. The lumps/bumps could be fatty tumors from overfeeding. Do they look white or yellow or some other color under the skin? You could try an anti-parasite medicine to see if that helps the bumps. I agree with fasting the tank for a day or two. Try a leaf of romaine to see if they will eat that. It may help with getting more greens in their diet. What is their normal food? Flake? Pellet? How often and how much are they fed? Does this goldie seem sluggish or down in the dumps at all? or is it still active?

Just looked at the picture again - could it be forming a wen? There are calico orandas that have the head growth...

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gremlin, neither hubby or I know much about goldies of any kind. He fell in love with these guys at the store. Let's see, we've had them probably 6 months. They were pretty tiny when we got them, now the largest one is about golf ball size body. This guy is a little smaller.

The other two have the really long finnage. We've wondered why this guy's finnage didn't grow as long. They were all in a shubunkin tank, so we've assumed that's what they are. Could definitely be a different species, though.

Hubby feeds them flakes and pellets and they will also eat bloodworm on occasion and steal wafers from the plecos. He has an auto feeder set up for them (flakes & pellets). I asked yesterday if he can set it for every other day, but he says once a day is the lowest setting. He has been notorious for overfeeding his fish, since his first tank. He actually purchased the feeder to prevent overfeeding but I think the auto still feeds too much, too.

One of the bumps almost looks like a whitehead (shows in pic). The others look clear like a person's wart would.

What do you think about the possibility of carp pox?

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It doesn't look like carp pox so much. Carp Pox (from what I've read) is usually white or pinkish in color and looks like a drop of wax on the skin. In your second picture (especially) it looks more like the growth of a wen. If it is carp pox, then the only "treatment" is to raise the water temp for the growths to fade. It will never actually go away - kind of like a cold sore (or fever blister) in humans.

As for feeding, you could probably phase out the flakes. They dissolve in the water too fast and can mess with the water parameters too much. I prefer pellets since they hold their shape better and can be scooped out and dried to reuse if the fish don't eat them all. The bloodworms will provide extra protein which can help with the growth of the wen if that is what it is. Mine love freeze dried tubifex worms.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gremlin, thanks for all your help. I've passed your helpful hints along to hubby.....

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I hope it is a wen rather than some sort of parasite or something. That would be kind of cool - by a fairly common shubunkin and end up with a fancy calico oranda... Keep us posted on how fishie does. Oh, and more pictures too! (I love the calico and shubunkin coloring).

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads