Shubunkin info needed

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by Brizburk, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Brizburk

BrizburkWell Known MemberMember

I've heard and read such differing opinions stated as fact over Shubunkin size that I really want the scientific facts. How big do they get? Do different types grow to different sizes?

I want the goods on these fish. I found a local pond fish store and the man swears that they don't get larger than 8", he said he's never seen one any bigger and that people mistake them for koi and that's why they think Shibinkins can get over a foot in length.

2. Protim Sarkar

Protim SarkarWell Known MemberMember

The environment it is kept in is a determining factor in whether your pet will grow to its full potential size. In an average 25 gallon tank, if well cared for and not crowded, they will grow up to about 5 inches (12.7 cm). In a bigger, uncrowded tank, they can grow larger generally reach about 6 inches (15 cm), also they can reach up to 13" (33 cm). In some cases, they even reach a whopping 18" (43.7 cm).

3. Dadio

DadioWell Known MemberMember

Never seen one over 8 inches but there have been reports of them getting larger. Many factors come into play such as the size of the environment, food and of course, the genetics.

4. OP
    OP
    Brizburk

BrizburkWell Known MemberMember

I've also read on fishlore, about stunted growth and deformed fish.

5. Dadio

DadioWell Known MemberMember

Any fish if not kept in the right conditions could have this happen. So give them the right conditions and you could see maximum growth and best health. Not because one states in can live in 10 gallons for example that that's the ideal setting. Plan for the minimum and step it up to provide more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice