Shrimps with neon tetras

miraloma

I've got 5 glass shrimps in a 10G with 9 neon tetras. I'm concerned that the shrimps are not getting enough to eat. The tetras seem to be eating up all the flake food I toss in before any of it falls to the bottom for the shrimps. I don't want to over feed 'cause that would make the water quality go bad.

I've tried tossing in some boiled spinach and frozen peas. They don't seem too interested in the spinach. They would eat the peas if they can find them. Just a general question, do shrimps have bad eye sights? They seem to be walking right by the food sometimes.

I bought some sinking pellets designed for corys to feed the shrimps. They don't seem to care too much for it. The food would then rot in the tank so I'd end up scooping them out. What's the best food to feed shrimps?

The shrimps used to be walking around the tank a lot. The last couple of days I have trouble finding them, i.e. they have taken to hiding out as much as possible. Is that a bad sign that the neon tetras are bad for the shrimps?

Sometimes, I'd see 1 or 2 shrimps trying to swim up to the surface of the water. Are they just looking for food or are they not liking the water and trying to escape? I do seem them swimming across the tank sometimes, rather than walking.

Once in a while, I see a shrimp double up into a U shape for a few seconds. I've read some posts that they are just stretching. I hope that's all there is 'cause they look down right strange!

Wolfgang8810

feeding them all you have to do is put some flake food in befreo bed time and they will scavange at night.

miraloma

Wow, that sounds easier than I thought! I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Wolfgang8810

no prob.

King_Snuggles

I use sinking waffers for my shrimp

miraloma

I tried to feed them the HikarI algae wafers but they don't really come running for the food. I tried thawed green peas but the same reaction. My fish are more excited about the food than the shrimps. I hope that just means the shrimps are not hungry.

Is it normal for them to be swimming up to the surface? I see some of them do that sometimes. It's quite funny to watch but I'm not sure if it's a distress sign.

One of my shrimps has green eggs! She's been carrying them around for a few days now. How long before the eggs hatch and little ones come out?

King_Snuggles

Mine don't go running to the waffers either, but in the morning the waffer is gone and I know the fish dosent eat it. My shrimp swim around all the time. I don't think it is because they are stressed.

miraloma

My platys will eat anything I toss into the aquarium, algae wafer, freeze dried fish eggs, green peas, flakes, etc. Most of the time, when I'm watching, it's the fish that are eating the food. I worry that the shrimps don't get enough to eat.

King_Snuggles

try putting the waffer in after you turn the lights off and the fish have been asleep for a while

Latest threads

Top Bottom