Shrimps trying to climb

ToastedRice235

Reaction score
I have a lot of shrimps and I noticed that some of them try to climb up the wall at the edge of the tank where the sponge filter is. Is it because the habitat is unstable/bad , recently molted or the pheromones the females are giving up? Please help!
15910806414913567684990409807004.jpg

Best Answer - View richiep's answer

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think its lack of oxygen, do you have an airstone running?
Post picture of the whole tank and to save time fill out as much as you can on the template below

What species is your problem related to? (e.g. Red Cherry Shrimp)

Water Parameters

Please give as many as possible
PH
GH
KH
Nitrites
Nitrates
Ammonia
Copper
TDS
Temperature

Your Aquarium

Size?
How long has this tank been set up?
Are there any other inhabitants?
What is your water change schedule and%?
What do you feed and how often?
Do you add any chemicals? (water conditioner, fertiliser,meds etc)
Filtration?
Substrate?

Introduction to the Tank (if applicable)

How long has the invert been in the tank?
How did you acclimate them?

Please explain your problem with as much information as possible and include pictures if you can.

Jack B Nimble

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have heard of that and understand it to be a sign that tank is about to crash.

Kimara

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My cherries and amanos would sometimes do this if the tank was too clean. They'd crawl out and into the filter to look for food. It could be serious or it could be that simple.

OP
ToastedRice235

ToastedRice235

Reaction score
richiep said:
I think its lack of oxygen, do you have an airstone running?
Post picture of the whole tank and to save time fill out as much as you can on the template below

What species is your problem related to? Red Cherry Shrimp

Water Parameters

Please give as many as possible
PH 6.8
GH
KH 2-3
Nitrites
Nitrates
Ammonia
Copper
TDS
Temperature 23c
O2 10mg/l<
Your Aquarium

Size? 20g
How long has this tank been set up? 4 months
Are there any other inhabitants? No
What is your water change schedule and%? 20% per 2week
What do you feed and how often? Shrimp food and sometimes kale
Do you add any chemicals? (water conditioner, fertiliser,meds etc) no
Filtration? Sponge filter
Substrate? Soil balls with small pourus rocks

Introduction to the Tank (if applicable)

How long has the invert been in the tank? 4 months
How did you acclimate them? Floated the 5 shrimps in the tank then after 1 hour released them into the aquarium

20200602_181006.jpg20200602_181024.jpg20200602_181144.jpg
Sorry I cant tell you my nitrate cycle params :( I dont have a test kit for them.

Attachments

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you tell me what it is I've circled?
I would add an airstone straight away
Whats the temp?
We need that form filled in above, there's lots need answering

Attachments

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i see a sponge filter does this not make enough surface disturbance to transfer enough oxygen richiep?

Why is the water level so low?
Do you often run the water at a higher level? If so there is food on the glass up there.

Have you ever had a water test done at a pet shop?

Do you own a vacuum hose?

How much and how often do you change water.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That water level looks the norm, at ⅔rds full i dont think the sponge is man enough for the job to oxygenate as well,lots of these shrimp in the wild are in streams and they always in a current i think what they are doing here is trying to find the most oxygenated part but feel there are underlying issues, ToastedRice235 we need a lot more information to help you get this sorted or as
Jack B Nimble as said you will have a crash, all the circled bits I've done is that food
Edited grammer

Jack B Nimble

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
richiep said:
That water level looks the norm, at ⅔rds full i dont think the sponge is man enough for the job to oxygenate as well,lots of these shrimp in the wild are in streams and they always in a current i think what they are doing here is trying to find the most oxygenated part but feel there are underlying issues, ToastedRice235 we need a lot more information to help you get this sorted or as
Jack B Nimble as said you will have a crash, all the circled bits I've done is that food
Edited grammer
I only refer to a great video from a seller in Singapore I noticed once, go to 15:50 mark he will mention all the shrimp trying to escape in a corner as sign tank is crashing. I like the video and and interesting the manner his tanks are set up and to Ritchie's point many variables but, if it were me I would see this as a sign of a pending crash and re-set tank personally. I have a tank with 5-600 shrimp and barely water movement so oxygen i don't feel the top reason they are wanting out of that tank.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What the video shows are his tanks are pristine and they need to be when you run parameters that hes running also the humidity in Singapore is one of the worst ive ever come across so his tanks are constantly being topped up with his header tanks giving him fresh supply, go back to the photo above and ive circled what looks like decaying food with that comes ammonia and ammonia is one of the biggest oxygen depleters in a tank so ill stick with lack of ⁰2, if that tank was going to crash it should have done so by now with many dead shrimp, ether way theres still a lot of unanswered questions and until we get them we cant help OP

Jack B Nimble

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The reason I really enjoy that video for me was:
- very simple UGF box making easy to change out buffering substrate and lava rock in the Neo tanks
- very simple RO water distribution for evaporation, I have auto water change and evaporation and love how he mentions going away for a few weeks no issues.
- critical tips about tank crashing and the usual question I see about losing a shrimp every week or so and that the ammonia and how it will not be detected using deep substrate
- some beautiful caridina shrimp and how seemingly limited color intensity of the neos in Singapore are to me.
- and why can't I have a store like that in my city ?? wish list

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jack B Nimble said:
The reason I really enjoy that video for me was:
- very simple UGF box making easy to change out buffering substrate and lava rock in the Neo tanks
- very simple RO water distribution for evaporation, I have auto water change and evaporation and love how he mentions going away for a few weeks no issues.
- critical tips about tank crashing and the usual question I see about losing a shrimp every week or so and that the ammonia and how it will not be detected using deep substrate
- some beautiful caridina shrimp and how seemingly limited color intensity of the neos in Singapore are to me.
I agree hes got some classy shrimp most of which i cant get in the UK and breeding the likes of fishbone is taking me forever but its coming

New Threads