Shrimps MIA

1. click Well Known Member Member

I have (or had? :'() 2 crystal red shrimps in my 29g. They were so cute and active, swimming all over the tank. They even shed once and grew bigger since I got them. They got to about half an inch. They've been missing for the past 2 days, I can't find them anywhere, dead or alive. They've been hidding before but they always came out at dinner time to eat with the fishes. I can't see any trace of them and I'm getting worried.

The last addition to the tank were 2 pearl gouramis of abour 2" long. The gouramis didn't show any interest in the shrimps at all plus their mouth doesn't seem big enough to eat them. They even have a hard time eating bigger bits of food. You think my poor shrimps became dinner to the gouramis?
    I have plenty of hidding places and I can't say I looked everywhere but why won't they come out and eat or swim? And if the gouramis did eat them, there should be some pieces left behind, it would be impossible to swallow them completly.

2. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to hear about your shrimp :( I have had bad experiences with guppies eating shrimp. The gouramis could be the culprits as well. If the shrimps were molting, they could have made an easy snack for the other fish. If you want to get more shrimp in the future, maybe try ghost shrimp or flower shrimp which are both a lot bigger and would probably do better in your tank. I'm so sorry for you loss :(

3. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Imo the gouramis had a grudge against the shrimp and the shrimp got so stressed they gave up on living, I saw a guppy fry that I thought was too big for my honey gouramis mouth get eaten whole once, do any food you are feeding have copper?

4. click Well Known Member Member

omg, I just checked the last food I bought for my corries and it has copper sulfate.:'(...and I knew that copper is bad for shrimps and made sure I read the label for all the other food I bought but for this one I just forgot to do it. I only fed the corries 2 pellets one time on Saturday, and since they didn't look too interested in it I didn't give them the shrimp pellets anymore. Maybe my poor shrimps ate some of it and got poisoned.

I'm such a bad owner. If I didn't know any better about the whole copper thing I could say I had an excuse, but I don't. I just tried to spoil my corries with variety diet and I probably killed my shrimps instead. My clean record for a first time tank owner is stained with the death of 2 little innocent creatures. :'(

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Oh Click! Don't beat yourself up! This isn't your fault and you clearly love all your little water creatures. I had not idea that copper was in their food - I thought it was just fertilizers and medications. It's not your fault. It really really isn't. I'm sorry, Click. :console: