Shrimps killing eachother

CoronaExtra

Hello. I had a small colony of 10+ small ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon tank. They were all lively and fine until recently. I had bout 4 more very large ghost shrimp from the pet store I work at. They are larger but otherwise normal. The only difference in the tank since then was a small water change and I used aqueon stress coat instead of API water conditioner but I don't think that makes a difference. Is this a different more aggressive species of shrimp or what could cause this? They're eating my shrimps and they're dispearing

richiep

There are a few different ghost shrimp and one species won't think twice about taking out other shrimp

CoronaExtra

richie.p said:
There are a few different ghost shrimp and one species won't think twice about taking out other shrimp
What are the other species types?

vyrille

CoronaExtra said:
What are the other species types?
There are quite a few, some are even not yet taxonomically identified. However one very common 'ghost shrimp' that's proven to be particularly vicious is the whisker shrimp or Macrobrachium lamarrei. Most macrobrachium have these long claws they use to cut up other fish, shrimp, snails, whatever; but this one doesn't have them, but still carries the attitude, and is often confused for Palaemonetes ghost shrimp. Disaster soon ensues.

rainbowsprinkles

Maybe they need more protein? Ghosties are more carnivorous than other shrimp and can cannibalize the small/young. Or could be another more aggressive species.

tjander

Whisker shrimp are often confused with Ghost or grass shrimp. Whisker shrimp are very aggressive.

LanceDog

Research macrobrachium and whisker shrimp. You may have unknowingly bought some. They can be mixed accidentally into ghost shrimp at pet stores because the young ones look like ghosts. They are very aggressive as they age.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom